Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm hoping to study medicine in the future and I'm about to sit my GCSEs. I'm super nervous that my GCSEs won't be good enough for medical school. I think I would be coming out with around 5 A*'s 4 A's and a B although they might be slightly better depending on how I do. Will these be enough? Do you know of anyone who got in with grades like this? And what did you guys get, or do to make yourself more suited for medical school?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's_me.)
    Hi, I'm hoping to study medicine in the future and I'm about to sit my GCSEs. I'm super nervous that my GCSEs won't be good enough for medical school. I think I would be coming out with around 5 A*'s 4 A's and a B although they might be slightly better depending on how I do. Will these be enough? Do you know of anyone who got in with grades like this? And what did you guys get, or do to make yourself more suited for medical school?
    Thanks.
    5A*s, 4As and a B would allow you to make a competitive application to medical school, but it sounds like you're having a major stress! Calm down a bit, focus on doing your absolute best in your GCSEs as that's the thing which is within your immediate control and maybe look more into applying for medicine once you've got your results?
    GCSEs only make up one component of a medical school application and whilst some medical schools place lots of emphasis on them when selecting for interview, when the time comes you'll also need a good UKCAT and/or BMAT, good A-Level predictions and a good personal statement, and you've got plenty of time to sort all this out.
    The only extra thing you can think about now which would help your application is to look at getting some work experience over the summer - this will help you think about if medicine really is for you and will also be something useful for your personal statement. It can also be quite difficult to get work experience so starting early is no bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violin101)
    5A*s, 4As and a B would allow you to make a competitive application to medical school, but it sounds like you're having a major stress! Calm down a bit, focus on doing your absolute best in your GCSEs as that's the thing which is within your immediate control and maybe look more into applying for medicine once you've got your results?
    GCSEs only make up one component of a medical school application and whilst some medical schools place lots of emphasis on them when selecting for interview, when the time comes you'll also need a good UKCAT and/or BMAT, good A-Level predictions and a good personal statement, and you've got plenty of time to sort all this out.
    The only extra thing you can think about now which would help your application is to look at getting some work experience over the summer - this will help you think about if medicine really is for you and will also be something useful for your personal statement. It can also be quite difficult to get work experience so starting early is no bad thing.
    Hi, thanks for your reply, it's super helpful and such a stress relief. I know that in stressing out but it's because I have a huge fear of failure as there's nothing else that I would like to do apart from medicine.
    I am also getting work experience. I have done some in an opticians and I have booked some in a pharmacy this summer and I have also recieved and interview for a volunteering place on a surgical ward in a hospital.

Thank you so much again, you've made me feel a little better about myself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.