Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cleaning Piercings watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today I got my lobes re-pierced for the third time and a double helix piercing for the first time. It's been a while since I last had my ears pierced and because I've never had my helix pierced before it's hurting quite a bit compared to the lobes.

Does anyone have any advice on cleaning new piercings, especially cartilage peircings. At the moment I feel like my helix piercings are a little sore to properly clean just now as they are on the same ear and quite close to each other.

Any advice is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Use an alcohol wipe or something similar to give them a clean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ripjonsnow)
    Use an alcohol wipe or something similar to give them a clean.
    Pretty sure that would dry them out, no? :unsure:

I have my helix pierced and used sea salt mixed with boiled then cooled a little water and it seemed to work well. Someone in the f&b forum recommended that to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Pretty sure that would dry them out, no? :unsure:

I have my helix pierced and used sea salt mixed with boiled then cooled a little water and it seemed to work well. Someone in the f&b forum recommended that to me.
    I used them to clean earings.
    I think your solution may be better though.

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen peroxide is good. Also often places that do piercings have special products for cleaning them gently.

ReputationRep:
    Sea salt soaks are great. Don't pick at them to remove dried blood or crusties, and avoid poking at them with cotton buds etc. If you find sleeping uncomfortable try a travel pillow to keep you from lying on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Deffinately sea salt soak with a cotton pad. Its also quite gentle so doesnt hurt too much. Its what i used for my tragus and have never had any issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been using saline solution so far and I kind of need to use a cotton bud to get in between the two helix piercings which I can still barely touch. However I did buy some sea salt today although I'm not sure if it's non-iodized so I've not tried the sea salt soak yet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, do the sea salt. One spoonful three times a day mixed with warm water. Also make sure you don't lie on your ears when you're sleeping or you'll irritate the wounds.

ReputationRep:
    So it's been over a month since I got the piercings and everything has been fine so far. Not changed the earrings yet since I have another month to wait for my helix. How long should I continue to clean my piercings twice a day?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.