Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So halfway through my AS, I'm about 90% sure I want to do a pure history degree at university and have looked at a couple I'd like to go to (Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, York, King's College, Warwick etc) but one there's just one thing that doesn't leave my mind. When I look at my friends who have gone off to study history at uni, they all have fairly relevant A level courses to history. Besides history, most tend to have A levels in:

English
    Sociology
    Economics
    Politics

For me, my choices are:

Biology
    Chemistry
    History

The thing is that when it came to choosing my a levels I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down the science route or history, so I picked my two favorite sciences and history figuring I'd know by the end of AS which I'd like to do. I'm wondering though, will having two completely irrelevant courses to history affect my application next year? I've heard LSE doesn't even require history as an A level, but are any other unis like that, or just don't care about my bio and chem A levels, so long as I have history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatNav98)
    So halfway through my AS, I'm about 90% sure I want to do a pure history degree at university and have looked at a couple I'd like to go to (Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, York, King's College, Warwick etc) but one there's just one thing that doesn't leave my mind. When I look at my friends who have gone off to study history at uni, they all have fairly relevant A level courses to history. Besides history, most tend to have A levels in:

English
    Sociology
    Economics
    Politics

For me, my choices are:

Biology
    Chemistry
    History

The thing is that when it came to choosing my a levels I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down the science route or history, so I picked my two favorite sciences and history figuring I'd know by the end of AS which I'd like to do. I'm wondering though, will having two completely irrelevant courses to history affect my application next year? I've heard LSE doesn't even require history as an A level, but are any other unis like that, or just don't care about my bio and chem A levels, so long as I have history?
    I think you will be fine, if the website doesn't specify then don't worry! Just get the best grades you can and your application will be a breeze Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. I do Bioveterinary Science with:

Archaeology
    Psychology
    Biology
    Economics

Most uni's (apart from the core history) aren't too fussy

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my third year of a law degree and I have an A-level in Biology and an AS in Chemistry. The subjects don't matter a lot of the time, just the grades. If you're worried though, try to speak to an admissions tutor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatNav98)

English
    Sociology
    Economics
    Politics

For me, my choices are:

Biology
    Chemistry
    History

Your A-Level choices are fine, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths, Physics, History and Economics and AS, I continued A2 with History, Maths and Physics and still got offers from many of the universities you mentioned. As long as you do well in those subjects you will be fine in your application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.