Applying (next year) with an odd(ish) choice of A levels. Watch

SatNav98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So halfway through my AS, I'm about 90% sure I want to do a pure history degree at university and have looked at a couple I'd like to go to (Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, York, King's College, Warwick etc) but one there's just one thing that doesn't leave my mind. When I look at my friends who have gone off to study history at uni, they all have fairly relevant A level courses to history. Besides history, most tend to have A levels in:

English
Sociology
Economics
Politics

For me, my choices are:

Biology
Chemistry
History

The thing is that when it came to choosing my a levels I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down the science route or history, so I picked my two favorite sciences and history figuring I'd know by the end of AS which I'd like to do. I'm wondering though, will having two completely irrelevant courses to history affect my application next year? I've heard LSE doesn't even require history as an A level, but are any other unis like that, or just don't care about my bio and chem A levels, so long as I have history?
acontium
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SatNav98)
So halfway through my AS, I'm about 90% sure I want to do a pure history degree at university and have looked at a couple I'd like to go to (Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, York, King's College, Warwick etc) but one there's just one thing that doesn't leave my mind. When I look at my friends who have gone off to study history at uni, they all have fairly relevant A level courses to history. Besides history, most tend to have A levels in:

English
Sociology
Economics
Politics

For me, my choices are:

Biology
Chemistry
History

The thing is that when it came to choosing my a levels I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down the science route or history, so I picked my two favorite sciences and history figuring I'd know by the end of AS which I'd like to do. I'm wondering though, will having two completely irrelevant courses to history affect my application next year? I've heard LSE doesn't even require history as an A level, but are any other unis like that, or just don't care about my bio and chem A levels, so long as I have history?
I think you will be fine, if the website doesn't specify then don't worry! Just get the best grades you can and your application will be a breeze Good luck!
CharlieH1992
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't worry, you'll be fine. I do Bioveterinary Science with:

Archaeology
Psychology
Biology
Economics

Most uni's (apart from the core history) aren't too fussy
Hann95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in my third year of a law degree and I have an A-level in Biology and an AS in Chemistry. The subjects don't matter a lot of the time, just the grades. If you're worried though, try to speak to an admissions tutor
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SatNav98)

English
Sociology
Economics
Politics

For me, my choices are:

Biology
Chemistry
History

Your A-Level choices are fine, don't worry.
Galactacore
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did Maths, Physics, History and Economics and AS, I continued A2 with History, Maths and Physics and still got offers from many of the universities you mentioned. As long as you do well in those subjects you will be fine in your application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1116)
78.93%
Leave (298)
21.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed