The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Three Mile Sprint
But a Biological and Mental deviation that is so extensive that it overrides an organisms basic instinct to mate with an opposing gender....isn't considered a Disorder?

Presupposing that something is a fact without arguing it is a bit rich, don't you think?

Even so, it's against biology and mental capacity to believe in a God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But a Biological and Mental deviation that is so extensive that it overrides an organisms basic instinct to mate with an opposing gender....isn't considered a Disorder?

Does the lack of production off offspring constitute as sufficient suffering/ malfunctioning nowadays?

Should those in heterosexual marriages who chose not have children also be considered to have a disorder because of a mental deviation so extensive that it overrides the human instinct of reproduction?
Original post by *Stefan*
Presupposing that something is a fact without arguing it is a bit rich, don't you think?

Even so, it's against biology and mental capacity to believe in a God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What has a fictional sky-daddy got to do with this?

Were debating sexual attraction.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Does the lack of production off offspring constitute as sufficient suffering/ malfunctioning nowadays?

Should those in heterosexual marriages who chose not have children also be considered to have a disorder because of a mental deviation so extensive that it overrides the human instinct of reproduction?

Frankly yes, it is a disordered approach to life from a Natural standpoint.

We know life exists to procreate and further the Genetic Lineage...thats it.
Frankly yes, it is a disordered approach to life from a Natural standpoint.

We know life exists to procreate and further the Genetic Lineage...thats it.

Actually there's an abundance of very interesting theories (developed by people much more intelligent than you) with regards to this very concept and how having queer family members would increase the chances of said family unit successfully furthering their genetic lineage - similar to the role that fa'afafine people play in Samoan family units.

But of course, you'd be fully aware of these concepts if you'd actually done any research into what you're passing as views - as opposed to simply using them as some ~edgy~ statement about how being non cishet is fundamentally wrong as it's going against some vague concept of an absolute meaning of life...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nikolateslacles
Actually there's an abundance of very interesting theories (developed by people much more intelligent than you) with regards to this very concept and how having queer family members would increase the chances of said family unit successfully furthering their genetic lineage - similar to the role that fa'afafine people play in Samoan family units.

But of course, you'd be fully aware of these concepts if you'd actually done any research into what you're passing as views - as opposed to simply using them as some ~edgy~ statement about how being non cishet is fundamentally wrong as it's going against some vague concept of an absolute meaning of life...

Yes but those theory's can just as easily be explained by closer social links too.

The only true studies are done on monozygotic twins who have been separated at birth.

As you can imagine that is extremely rare.

So neither of you can prove or disprove each other's point

Posted from TSR Mobile
please do enlighten me with the social explanation for females who have homosexual relatives being more fertile and for the numerous other X chromosome linkage theories
Original post by Inexorably
Yes, I do.

I do not think homosexuality, bisexuality etc. are disorders though, they're simply variations of sexual attraction. Whereas transsexuality is nothing like that at all.

I agree with this. I think gay people are straight people that's how I see it. But transsexuality is not the same.

I don't think it's a mental illness completely I think it's more a result of a result of society's demand to be a man or a woman to act a specific way etc. That pushes some into having symptoms of dysmorphia. Kind of like anorexia I think. More like a condition from the society they grew up in.
please do enlighten me with the social explanation for females who have homosexual relatives being more fertile and for the numerous other X chromosome linkage theories

Please do enlighten me by linking your comprehensive study

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Please do enlighten me by linking your comprehensive study

Posted from TSR Mobile

why would i do that when you've literally ignored all data and evidence that has been provided which contradicts your views lmao?

I honestly can't tell if you're genuinely an incredibly stupid transphobe trying to hide behind a facade of pseudo-intellectualism or some messy example of Poe's law gone wrong, but I can't say I care either. you're boring, have a nice life :smile:
why would i do that when you've literally ignored all data and evidence that has been provided which contradicts your views lmao?

I honestly can't tell if you're genuinely an incredibly stupid transphobe trying to hide behind a facade of pseudo-intellectualism or some messy example of Poe's law gone wrong, but I can't say I care either. you're boring, have a nice life :smile:

So in short no comprehensive study link for us to have a look at ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh you are all the same type of people who were against homosexuality and regarded it as a mental illness 50 years ago and being transgender is not a mental disorder as it doesn't cause distress such as how depression and OCD but the gender dysphoria is which is why people infact change their gender to be more suited to it and not be distressed anymore. and dressing as the opposite gender is infact not a 'sexual fetish' because clothes suited to one gender are stereotypes, why shouldn't they dress as the other and in fact they don't regard themselves as male or female when they take the SRS, but infact transgender 'male' 'female' you are literally the type of people who exclude anything that is different in this society but sorry not everyone is the same and mutilating their genitals? They aren't mutilating their genitals but feel uncomfortable as they will never really feel like a man or women as they dont have the opposite genitalia. they feel like they are missing something which is why they do it and when they do take the surgery all they are going to lose is their reproductive system which many people don't even use and I love how not one female is on this post and all of you are men because you feel inadequate as how someone can 'chop their dick off' like **** off seriously. Overall you are all a bunch of transphobes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chaseyyy
Tbh you are all the same type of people who were against homosexuality and regarded it as a mental illness 50 years ago and being transgender is not a mental disorder as it doesn't cause distress such as how depression and OCD but the gender dysphoria is which is why people infact change their gender to be more suited to it and not be distressed anymore. and dressing as the opposite gender is infact not a 'sexual fetish' because clothes suited to one gender are stereotypes, why shouldn't they dress as the other and in fact they don't regard themselves as male or female when they take the SRS, but infact transgender 'male' 'female' you are literally the type of people who exclude anything that is different in this society but sorry not everyone is the same and mutilating their genitals? They aren't mutilating their genitals but feel uncomfortable as they will never really feel like a man or women as they dont have the opposite genitalia. they feel like they are missing something which is why they do it and when they do take the surgery all they are going to lose is their reproductive system which many people don't even use and I love how not one female is on this post and all of you are men because you feel inadequate as how someone can 'chop their dick off' like **** off seriously. Overall you are all a bunch of transphobes

Never go full retard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes/No, like many other disorders it does not necessarily make a person unable to do regular things such as walking, talking etc. Though gender dysphoria can affect the person mentally. It depends on what you'd class as a disorder really.
LGBT do not belong together.

It should be Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Straight. These are all sexual orientations and by that I mean all define a person based on who they fancy.

Transexual is not a sexuality in the way sexual orientation is. It's an identity issue relating to their actual sex and should not be bundled with orientation issues. For all intents and purposes it is a mental disorder of sorts. The fact is, female brain or not a male body, male genetics, etc are all still male. Having yourself mutilated to be something you're not born as is quite a severe pathology.

However some care needs to be taken with where you want to go with the designation of a mental disorder. Technically those who are religious believing in strange and absurd things have a mental disorder of some kind but there are only so many cases of that you would really condemn or refer for treatment.

There are many in the trans-community who are ideological extremists though. It is a new thing so the parameters for extremism have not really been well defined.

The most extreme and bizarre version of the disorder itself that I have seen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvY2ScZBCtQ
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrControversial
LGBT do not belong together.

It should be Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Straight. These are all sexual orientations and by that I mean all define a person based on who they fancy.

Transexual is not a sexuality in the way sexual orientation is. It's an identity issue relating to their actual sex and should not be bundled with orientation issues. For all intents and purposes it is a mental disorder of sorts. The fact is, female brain or not a male body, male genetics, etc are all still male. Having yourself mutilated to be something you're not born as is quite a severe pathology.

However some care needs to be taken with where you want to go with the designation of a mental disorder. Technically those who are religious believing in strange and absurd things have a mental disorder of some kind but there are only so many cases of that you would really condemn or refer for treatment.

There are many in the trans-community who are ideological extremists though. It is a new thing so the parameters for extremism have not really been well defined.

The most extreme and bizarre version of the disorder itself that I have seen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvY2ScZBCtQ

Very well said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Never go full retard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Full retard? says the transphobe who apparently works for private mental health services, what a load of *******s
Original post by Chaseyyy
Full retard? says the transphobe who apparently works for private mental health services, what a load of *******s

Wow that's a lot of aspersions for one post

I suppose it's true to form for your last post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 318
It is not a disorder, it is a lifestyle certain individuals chose to live.
I know a whole lot of transsexuals, transgenders and genderfluid people, so call it biased but no, none of them should ever be considered as an illness or disorder.
Lmao gonna start this argument again but it is a mental disorder and classified in the DSM V as gender dysphoria also known as gender identity disorder, but the only way for it to be treated can't be through therapy and medication as the individual still feels uncomfortable with their body all they are doing is removing their reproductive system which most people don't even use to feel more to their assigned gender, hormone therapy and SRS is the main treatment for people with gender dysphoria there is no other way to help alleviate the symptoms, so all you idiots saying that they should receive mental care, they are so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending