Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    availability of funds is a form of personal strength
    What?

ReputationRep:
    If its a choice between suffering the city and supposedly weaker prospects then yes its a matter of personal strength of will or whatever you wish to call it.
    Not really. Are you going to pay for them?

If its a choice between suffering the city and supposedly weaker prospects then yes its a matter of personal strength of will or whatever you wish to call it.
    It would be mildly insane to suffer a city you dislike and commit financial suicide simply to get a piece of paper from one of those universities. Given the level of unhappiness that is likely likely to ensue you would probably underperform anyway (reflecting badly on yourself and the universitiy). Clearly what you consider "strength", I consider to be stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    There is more to university than getting a degree. I wouldn't want to be studying in London and suffering from financial constraints rather than being able to experience student life just because I was worried about how studying outside the G5 would affect my prospects. Evidently student life isn't as important to everyone though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    There is more to university than getting a degree. I wouldn't want to be studying in London and suffering from financial constraints rather than being able to experience student life just because I was worried about how studying outside the G5 would affect my prospects. Evidently student life isn't as important to everyone though.
    If you don't like the place why tournment yourself to three or four years of hell? In reality for most jobs the university you go to dosn't matter that much either, the most important thing is yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If you don't like the place why tournment yourself to three or four years of hell? In reality for most jobs the university you go to dosn't matter that much either, the most important thing is yourself.
    Exactly. However, by creating an official G5 group of universities that is recognised by employers this may give the impression that the university you go to is more important and force many students to institutions that they cannot afford to attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Exactly. However, by creating an official G5 group of universities that is recognised by employers this may give the impression that the university you go to is more important and force many students to institutions that they cannot afford to attend.
    Well I know plenty of students with good jobs who went to crappy universities or even HE colleges so I think unless you want a job like investment banking or somthing its a bit over rated.

For 90% of jobs the degree is probably not too important. I think what you need to go is go to the best university you like and can afford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Ermmm.... you can just make up my quotes you know. :rolleyes:
    Lol i dont know why your name ended up on that quote, apologies.

Lol i dont know why your name ended up on that quote, apologies.
    No probs.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.