Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third year student studying psychology/neuroscience and I still don't know how to revise for exams despite having done them for two years.

I could get away with cramming material a few days before A level exams because I could just memorize the textbook without having to understand anything, which is why I got high marks. I feel that the Cambridge exam style makes it impossible to do that - you can't get away with memorizing the lecture notes because they could literally ask you anything and they expect more knowledge than that.

* I've never been able to make a timetable because of my inability to plan - I've tried and it never works
    * I know I should practice doing past papers, but how am I going to practice if I don't remember all my material (which takes a lot of time)?

How did you go about revising during your time here? How did you plan your revision? Could any of you give me like an example timetable of how you did it? For those who are doing humanities, how do you manage to prioritize any extra reading when they could ask you anything?

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to understand the material? If yes, my advice to you is to find some papers related to the material - papers you're interested in - and read those making notes. In France there is technique called making 'fiches': you read through your class notes, a book, or your text book summarising what you read in a very condensed way. The advantage to this is that you access the material and must engage with it; it is however a little tedious. It lends itself better to science subjects in all truth. In the humanities you are better off making your own more free-flowing notes, featuring your own interrogations and thoughts, references to look up ect.

In the humanities, you are making links and drawing on your own knowledge and thinking to construct arguments/ make sensitive evaluations. What you read can inform your thinking and also provide you with more concrete pieces of information you might work into an essay; this is why it's best to pursue ideas and themes that appeal to you personally in your own reading.

As for a schedule, why don't you just write topics for each day into google calendar. Perhaps aim for 4 hours a day?

Save the practice papers until you've assimilated a bit more content - they will be really helpful to you in the later stages of your preparation.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by nickyr212)
    I'm a third year student studying psychology/neuroscience and I still don't know how to revise for exams despite having done them for two years.
    Just wondering how you managed in your other years? It seems strange not to have a working method by the time you've got to your final year...

What do your course mates do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Just wondering how you managed in your other years? It seems strange not to have a working method by the time you've got to your final year...

What do your course mates do?
    I got a third in first year and a (low) 2.1 in second year. I was out of control in first year (long story) and I managed to sort of get it together in second year, but I barely revised because I was at a loss of what to do. The fact that I got a 2.1 was honestly pure luck and I don't think I can rely on luck this time.

My coursemates are quite competitive and they keep things to themselves, so I have no idea how they manage.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I got a third in first year and a (low) 2.1 in second year. I was out of control in first year (long story) and I managed to sort of get it together in second year, but I barely revised because I was at a loss of what to do. The fact that I got a 2.1 was honestly pure luck and I don't think I can rely on luck this time.

My coursemates are quite competitive and they keep things to themselves, so I have no idea how they manage.
    Ah! Well I really can't give any useful advice except maybe to ask your DoS or Tutor for some guidance...

Oh and does any of this help (it doesn't have PBS but these may be close enough...)
    http://thetriposguide.co.uk/part-ii-...-neuroscience/
    http://thetriposguide.co.uk/general-advice/

also
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1237061
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Didn't go to Cambridge but I had a difficult maths proofs module for Economics which wouldn't look out of place in Cambridge.

After each lecture, I wrote the concepts in my own words as if I'm explaining it to a high school student using my notes and the uploaded lecture notes. If I couldn't explain something, I turned to my textbook and online resources until I did. I then taught it to someone else to ensure that my logical reasoning is sound enough to tackle the problem sets.

If I stumble in any problem sets questions, I make a note on where I went wrong and what tricks were needed to get the answer. I went home and typed up the full questions and answers, with every step thoroughly explained. I taught these questions and answers as well.

I rewrote the concepts and answered the questions without looking, many times throughout the year until I mastered all of the material.

I got a 1st in this module, while my cramming for easier modules gave me a 2.2.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure they manage by using their own brain to 'think' and understand the things they learn, rather than just memorising things......

How have you been coping with supervisions for two years? I find it quite incredulous none of your DoS/supervisors has suspected you've been entirely relying on your ability to memorise things. Especially when a student ended up with a third /very low 2.1 in two years in succession, most DoS would usually express their concern and try to give you some advice and support. Have you ever discussed about the problem with your DoS? With the final exam coming only in a few months, I fear you might've left things too late, but the first thing you should do, anyway, is to talk to your DoS. He/she is there to support the students when they are facing the problem on academic front. Is he/she even aware you've having the problem for two years?

I think the advice SecretDuck gave you is very good, but you also need to speak with your DoS asap.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.