Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically I graduated from uni with a biology degree in July 2015. After I finished uni I had no idea what career I was going to pursue. I have long been considering going into teaching, in particular, primary teaching. However, I kept finding myself questioning whether it was the right career for me and I ended up putting it off. So i missed the primary PGCE application deadline for September 2016 entry. I now have to wait another year (until September 2017) until I am able to start a course.

So... I have been thinking it would be a good idea to work as a teaching assistant for a year to bridge the gap and also gain some valuable experience working with primary school children. I have been looking into teaching assistant vacancies but many, if not all, I have seen advertised in my local area require some form of teaching assistant qualification, and/or previous experience working as a teaching assistant.

I'm wondering if there are opportunities out there for a graduate teaching assistant and if anyone knows where I can find these? Has anyone else found themselves in my situation and gone on to work as a graduate teaching assistant for a year or so?

Thank you in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy3001)
    So basically I graduated from uni with a biology degree in July 2015. After I finished uni I had no idea what career I was going to pursue. I have long been considering going into teaching, in particular, primary teaching. However, I kept finding myself questioning whether it was the right career for me and I ended up putting it off. So i missed the primary PGCE application deadline for September 2016 entry. I now have to wait another year (until September 2017) until I am able to start a course.

So... I have been thinking it would be a good idea to work as a teaching assistant for a year to bridge the gap and also gain some valuable experience working with primary school children. I have been looking into teaching assistant vacancies but many, if not all, I have seen advertised in my local area require some form of teaching assistant qualification, and/or previous experience working as a teaching assistant.

I'm wondering if there are opportunities out there for a graduate teaching assistant and if anyone knows where I can find these? Has anyone else found themselves in my situation and gone on to work as a graduate teaching assistant for a year or so?

Thank you in advance!!
    I know people who have, not sure how they got the positions so I can't be of specific help to you I'm afraid. However if you post in the PGCE application sub forum on here you'll probably find at least a few current PGCE/NQT's around there who worked as TA's first who can help you.

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer first, then you'll have experience to apply for paid positions.

Or sign up to an agency and do day-to-day cover, or apply for Mentor/Cover Supervisor positions.

ReputationRep:
    I currently volunteer at a primary school for one or two days a week to help with my application. Volunteering at first will help you. After a good few months, apply for a teaching assistant role and see where you get with that.

ReputationRep:
    I got in for 2016 entry but if I hadn't this would have been my plan. I've seen a few ads for graduate teaching assistant vacancies where you work for them for a year as a TA then you're expected to progress onto their School Direct route. I'm not sure where you are but the ads I've seen are in London and Sheffield. I can send you the details if you would like.

ReputationRep:
    I've been working as a TA this year after graduating and I'm about to start my teacher training in September. I'd definitely recommend it, it's been such useful preparation and I feel like I know what I'm letting myself in for a lot more than I would have done just going straight into it. I've even had the chance to teach a couple of lessons this year and I've learned so much from the teachers I've worked with, so I'd say go for it.

I also think if you end up being a teacher, it'll be really useful to have been a TA for a year because you'll appreciate/understand the role of TAs a lot more so you'll hopefully be able to work better with them, and you'll have a better understanding of how to work with SEN and get the best out of every student.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.