Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the species homo sapiens inherently "evil"? watch

ReputationRep:
    The more I look at what is happening in the world, the more I see evil, the more I see people acting in ways that hurt others.

Even if someone is not "evil" in the sense of committing hurtful crimes against others, I more and more have the view that people are incredibly self-centered, and often with very little regard to others and to nature.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I include nature here because the country I live in is very green, and even though there are actually signs asking people not to litter, I know from cycling around the countryside that there is far too much garbage thrown out of cars. The only explanation I have for this is that people don't want the trash in their own car, their property, so they chuck it out because the countryside is not theirs so what do I care about it? I am not even saying these are evil people, they will most likely feel guilty if they'd learn a cow died because of something they threw away. I am saying these people don't think about their actions, and they don't consider their effect on things other than themselves.

These might even be people who do "good", they might donate to charity or even organize charitable work themselves. And yet on a day-to-day basis, they act selfish. Another example would be coming home late at night. I used to have a friend with an older brother. That older brother would whenever coming home late, go about business as he would during the day. Except everyone else was sleeping. It always pissed me off. How hard would it be to think, oh people are sleeping maybe I should try to be a bit more quiet.

Next consider politicians. They are supposed to be elected by us to do good for our country. And yet, as many people feel, not just me, which is evident in rise of centre parties losing support (people are fed up with the politicians), they mainly care just for their own good. Merkel is the best example of this. She almost always does what a) she thinks will bring her popularity and b) what gives her support in her own party (the u-turn on immigrants, first saying all come and then sucking up to Erdogan to close routes was because she was having trouble with the coalition part, CSU). Or take US politics, just watch Last Week Tonight on youtube and you can see how contradictory they even are, changing to what suits them at the time. If they really, objectively based on their views, would do what is best, they wouldn't listen to money from bog lobby, but to opinion of experts.

That is why I am making the thread, I am completely disillusioned at the moment, and I feel from top down, people stick out elbows to get themselves ahead, totally disregarding others

Every time you watch the news, I guarantee you there is some sort of story involving humans being evil. Are humans evil?

No one is born evil.

Evil comes from influence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainhuman)
    The more I look at what is happening in the world, the more I see evil, the more I see people acting in ways that hurt others.

Even if someone is not "evil" in the sense of committing hurtful crimes against others, I more and more have the view that people are incredibly self-centered, and often with very little regard to others and to nature.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I include nature here because the country I live in is very green, and even though there are actually signs asking people not to litter, I know from cycling around the countryside that there is far too much garbage thrown out of cars. The only explanation I have for this is that people don't want the trash in their own car, their property, so they chuck it out because the countryside is not theirs so what do I care about it? I am not even saying these are evil people, they will most likely feel guilty if they'd learn a cow died because of something they threw away. I am saying these people don't think about their actions, and they don't consider their effect on things other than themselves.

These might even be people who do "good", they might donate to charity or even organize charitable work themselves. And yet on a day-to-day basis, they act selfish. Another example would be coming home late at night. I used to have a friend with an older brother. That older brother would whenever coming home late, go about business as he would during the day. Except everyone else was sleeping. It always pissed me off. How hard would it be to think, oh people are sleeping maybe I should try to be a bit more quiet.

Next consider politicians. They are supposed to be elected by us to do good for our country. And yet, as many people feel, not just me, which is evident in rise of centre parties losing support (people are fed up with the politicians), they mainly care just for their own good. Merkel is the best example of this. She almost always does what a) she thinks will bring her popularity and b) what gives her support in her own party (the u-turn on immigrants, first saying all come and then sucking up to Erdogan to close routes was because she was having trouble with the coalition part, CSU). Or take US politics, just watch Last Week Tonight on youtube and you can see how contradictory they even are, changing to what suits them at the time. If they really, objectively based on their views, would do what is best, they wouldn't listen to money from bog lobby, but to opinion of experts.

That is why I am making the thread, I am completely disillusioned at the moment, and I feel from top down, people stick out elbows to get themselves ahead, totally disregarding others

Every time you watch the news, I guarantee you there is some sort of story involving humans being evil. Are humans evil?
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    No one is born evil.

In my opinion our species is constantly engaged in tribal war

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    No one is born evil.

Interesting point. But the question remains then.

Is the human race inherently prone to creating an atmosphere where people become evil?

ReputationRep:
    humans are naturally greedy

ReputationRep:
    There's a catholic line of thinking that humans usually tend towards evil, something to do with original sin. An overly dramatic line of thinking, IMO

I would say that the majority of humans are self-centred, or at least start in life that way (kids not getting their own way are often ******s about it until they learn about life an' that from their parents). That sort of core thing in your head does give many people the capacity for evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    There's a catholic line of thinking that humans usually tend towards evil, something to do with original sin. An overly dramatic line of thinking, IMO

I would say that the majority of humans are self-centred, or at least start in life that way (kids not getting their own way are often ******s about it until they learn about life an' that from their parents). That sort of core thing in your head does give many people the capacity for evil.
    Did you see that video of the people stealing water bottles from the marathon.

It may be a small thing. They may not even be "criminals". But it is exactly that kind of selfishness that makes me believe the human race is trash.

ReputationRep:
    I think humans are neither inherently good or evil, I think they have the seeds of both within them, but what is brought out depends on influence, circumstance and situation. Religions, on the whole, tend to emphasis that people are inherently Good, but this emphasis maybe more about nurturing and bringing out positive behavior and discouraging bad behavior. Of course, we may today argue that religion has at times brought out the worst behavior in people, that religious morality seems at odds with progressive liberal norms, but we must also remember that to reach a certain point we have to go through certain experiences, ideas about what is good and what is harmful is constantly evolving and they often arise in a certain context. In short humanity needs inhumanity to exist and there is an interdependence between the two ideas, we cannot ignore the positive influence that religious attitudes have had in shaping progressive attitudes towards humanism and what is good, just because there are those, or so we are told, who kill in the name of a deity.

Human nature is far from simplistic and much of the trouble we have arises from our attempts to box human nature into generalized categories.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.