Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wanted to park in a layby next to a fairly busy single carrieagway. However I was told to move off because my van was obstructing the speed camera vehicle that was also parked in the layby. I pay my f****in road related taxes and I have as much right to use the roads, including designated parking spots as anyone else. What are my rights on this?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Wanted to park in a layby next to a fairly busy single carrieagway. However I was told to move off because my van was obstructing the speed camera vehicle that was also parked in the layby. I pay my f****in road related taxes and I have as much right to use the roads, including designated parking spots as anyone else. What are my rights on this?
    I think technically it could be classed as obstructing a police officer in the execution of their duty... Not 100% sure though... tbh, wouldn't really take the risk or bother too much about it if all they did was tell you to move. Funny though, there was someone else who did this recently.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    I think technically it could be classed as obstructing a police officer in the execution of their duty... Not 100% sure though... tbh, wouldn't really take the risk or bother too much about it if all they did was tell you to move. Funny though, there was someone else who did this recently.
    1: That looks like a purposeful attempt to block a speed camera. (fair do's!)
    2: Not a layby or public parking area
    3: Is that a porsche!? Couldnt he have used a crap car coz leaving a porsche door open.........!!! silly *******
    4: "After noticing the hidden device". What device was hidden on the back of a speed camera van next to a road? Doesnt sound like a good place to hide something unless its one of those James Bond tiny magnetic anti tank devices. Or a dark matter detector.

Funny AF tho.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    1: That looks like a purposeful attempt to block a speed camera. (fair do's!)
    2: Not a layby or public parking area
    3: Is that a porsche!? Couldnt he have used a crap car coz leaving a porsche door open.........!!! silly *******
    4: "After noticing the hidden device". What device was hidden on the back of a speed camera van next to a road? Doesnt sound like a good place to hide something unless its one of those James Bond tiny magnetic anti tank devices. Or a dark matter detector.

Funny AF tho.
    Well yeh haha xD Blatant attempt Not sure what car, but as you say, I wouldn't really want to leave the boot wide open...

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    Well yeh haha xD Blatant attempt Not sure what car, but as you say, I wouldn't really want to leave the boot wide open...
    Exactly. Given my luck a rat-arsed pisshead would pass out in there and kick the bucket. Me being the registered owner would end up eating porridge.

ReputationRep:
    You should have asked them if they were legally requiring you to move and if so, under what law.

Nothing immediately jumps out at me as being illegal. Obstruction is unlikely due to the fact speed vans are often operated by civilians and not police officers

ReputationRep:
    I can't think why you would be compelled to move - you could put in a complaint if you want. Or just forget about it and not move next time. Only if they were actually police could you possibly be charged with obstructing bla bla if you didn't move when asked, but even then I think they would need to prove intent, and just randomly parking in a layby would be difficult to prove for intent. They might reasonbly ask you to move a few meters further up the layby if there was space, but asking you to leave it would be too far in my book.

ReputationRep:
    Who asked you to move off? Was it the 'Safety camera partnership' operator (read: Not a police officer)? In which case the appropriate response is to kindly ask him to go **** himself.

However if it was a police officer or highways agencies they are within their right to ask you to move from a parking spot.

(Original post by CAElite)
    Who asked you to move off? Was it the 'Safety camera partnership' operator (read: Not a police officer)? In which case the appropriate response is to kindly ask him to go **** himself.

However if it was a police officer or highways agencies they are within their right to ask you to move from a parking spot.
    Im not sure, didnt know there was a difference. Anyway what makes police so special but not camera operators?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure, didnt know there was a difference. Anyway what makes police so special but not camera operators?
    Police are police and thus have powers to enforce the law as given mostly by the Police & Criminal Evidence act 1984 and Police Act 1996 in England & Wales.

A camera operator is a bloke in a stripey white van with a fancy DSLR & more often than not zero police or legal training. Thus has no legal authority whatsoever. He merely presents photographic evidence to magistrates.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.