Written and unwritten constitution in detail

Watch
someonehelp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
what are the advantages and disadvantages of written and unwritten constitution?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For a start it's called codified and uncodified, the basics are a codified constitution provides citizens a clear and firm set of rights and freedoms and as you might know with gun law in America, it's something the Obama administration has struggled to change due to it being in their codified (written) constitution. In the UK we have an Uncodifed constitution which gives us flexibility to amend rights and freedoms, for example gun laws here significantly changed in 1996 without much needing to be done except the standard parliamentary procedure of passing legislation as our constitution is embedded or can be extracted from acts of Parliament which proves another issue, citizens in the UK aren't fully aware of their rights and freedoms, sure we do know what our rights our but do we know the extent of our rights? If we feel our rights are violated can we simply point to a single document and prove it?

Advantages of unwritten constitutions
• An advantage of unwritten constitution is that it is relatively easy to change the constitution.
• legislation of constitutional significance can be introduced through ordinary law making process.
• in most states there are no technical or special procedures relating to constitutionals amendments.
•It is also flexible which is advantageous as well as potentially dangerous.
•It allows parliament to remain sovereign

I could go on but a Google search will educate you more
foreigndav
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zayn008)
For a start it's called codified and uncodified, the basics are a codified constitution provides citizens a clear and firm set of rights and freedoms and as you might know with gun law in America, it's something the Obama administration has struggled to change due to it being in their codified (written) constitution. In the UK we have an Uncodifed constitution which gives us flexibility to amend rights and freedoms, for example gun laws here significantly changed in 1996 without much needing to be done except the standard parliamentary procedure of passing legislation as our constitution is embedded or can be extracted from acts of Parliament which proves another issue, citizens in the UK aren't fully aware of their rights and freedoms, sure we do know what our rights our but do we know the extent of our rights? If we feel our rights are violated can we simply point to a single document and prove it?

Advantages of unwritten constitutions
• An advantage of unwritten constitution is that it is relatively easy to change the constitution.
• legislation of constitutional significance can be introduced through ordinary law making process.
• in most states there are no technical or special procedures relating to constitutionals amendments.
•It is also flexible which is advantageous as well as potentially dangerous.
•It allows parliament to remain sovereign

I could go on but a Google search will educate you more
Written and codified has the same legal meaning....
JimBob88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. Technically the constitution is written in many different forms e.g. some conventions are "written" down such as the Ministerial Code or Memorandum of Understanding.

Codification is the gathering of all the constitution into a single document.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (55)
37.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (15)
10.34%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (6)
4.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (32)
22.07%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
16.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (13)
8.97%

Watched Threads