Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This seems like a good idea - eyes-down pedestrian traffic lights in Germany for smartphone victims / zombies. (smombies)
    http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...tphone-zombies

What other innovations do we need in the social space to cater for the drifting rudderless zero-attention-on-surroundings age we all now live in?

Sorry, gotta go, something popped up on twitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    This seems like a good idea - eyes-down pedestrian traffic lights in Germany for smartphone victims / zombies. (smombies)
    http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...tphone-zombies

What other innovations do we need in the social space to cater for the drifting rudderless zero-attention-on-surroundings age we all now live in?

Sorry, gotta go, something popped up on twitter.
    Is this really a real thing? People should just look where they are going

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.

Darwinism in action.

ReputationRep:
    I said the same in another thread.
    I would fine people for jaywalking and that is the end of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    I said the same in another thread.
    I would fine people for jaywalking and that is the end of it
    You realise 'jaywalking' is like an American thing, yeah? It's a bit like voting for Trump or having a lawyer to take your own parents to court for not buying you a nice enough car, or shooting your teacher, that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Nothing.

Darwinism in action.
    That's damn cold blooded of you. Surely you should cut people a little slack and allow them to wonder around bumping into stuff and being completely mentally vacant without actually killing them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think jaywalking should be illegal, especially if people do it safely. I just wait for smombies to bump into them so I can give them a devil stare and tell them to watch where they are going. That usually makes them put away their phones, atleast for 2 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethwalker85)
    I don't think jaywalking should be illegal, especially if people do it safely. I just wait for smombies to bump into them so I can give them a devil stare and tell them to watch where they are going. That usually makes them put away their phones, atleast for 2 seconds.
    In the UK, it isn't illegal to cross roads wherever you like, Jaywalking is a US offence, not a British one.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I don't know how I feel about this. But back when I was an avid reader, I paid even less attention to my surroundings.

Now I tend to use my phone for music when out and about.

ReputationRep:
    That's damn cold blooded of you. Surely you should cut people a little slack and allow them to wonder around bumping into stuff and being completely mentally vacant without actually killing them.
    Why?

When we're little we have the green cross code drummed into us relentlessly. We get told over and over about the dangers of level crossings.

Do those things suddenly stop being dangerous when we're looking at a phone?

If people can't be arsed to take a few seconds to look after their own safety, why should I look out for them instead?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Smombies. :erm: Totally read that as smoothies.

In all seriousness, I don't think this is worth the expense. Looking up is no effort whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    smombies

= persönlicheTelefonzerstreutOpfe r

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, people should just learn to pay more attention to what they're doing as they're walking about.

In the UK, it isn't illegal to cross roads wherever you like, Jaywalking is a US offence, not a British one.
    However it is (or at least was when I lived there) an offence in Germany. I wonder if the Germans would roll this out as a more widespread thing, as this is just a experiment. I doubt they would.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.