Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could some one help with q13 pls 🙏🏼

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JUN14.PDF
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I've moved this thread to the Physics Study Help forum where hopefully you'll get more responses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HG1)
    Could some one help with q13 pls 🙏🏼

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JUN14.PDF
    Are you familiar with Coulomb's law? For two point charges with charges q_1, q_2 of opposite sign positioned a distance r apart, there is an attractive force between the two that satisfies:

\text{Force}=\dfrac{|q_1q_2|}{4 \pi \epsilon_0r^2}

Apply this to the case \text{Force} = 0.5F, r=20 to find F in terms of |q_1q_2|. Then apply it to the case \text{Force}=F, r=d, substitute what you found in the previous step, and rearrange to find d.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot the .

ReputationRep:
    N
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Are you familiar with Coulomb's law? For two point charges with charges q_1, q_2 of opposite sign positioned a distance r apart, there is an attractive force between the two that satisfies:

\text{Force}=\dfrac{|q_1q_2|}{4 \pi \epsilon_0r^2}

Apply this to the case \text{Force} = 0.5F, r=20 to find F in terms of |q_1q_2|. Then apply it to the case \text{Force}=F, r=d, substitute what you found in the previous step, and rearrange to find d.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot the .

Thanks for you're reply would you mind showing me steps of how to get to the answer as I just don't understand the logic ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HG1)
    Thanks for you're reply would you mind showing me steps of how to get to the answer as I just don't understand the logic ?
    That formula I gave you *should* look familiar - does it? You really only have to use it twice to get an answer. If you're stuck on the first step, what do you get by putting \text{Force} = 0.5F and r=20 into that formula? Can you make F the subject?

Then as you know what F is, you can use the formula again but with \text{Force}=F and r=d this time, to get another equation which you can solve for d.

I'm afraid in general, step-by-step answers are frowned upon in study help. It would be better for you to read my post again and to attempt the steps I outlined. Then post up some working and either myself or someone else will be able to help you further.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.