Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"The referendum won't change anything" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I don't live in the UK but I see that everyone in my country(it is in the EU) seems to believe that the referendum won't change anything and even if 'Leave' wins you are actually going to stay. I've also seen some people in TSR claiming this.
    My question is: do you agree? Or Do you, Britons, hope that things are going to change?
    Please justify cause I am a bit confused.

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone believe the leave campaign can even win? Honestly, does anyone for one second believe OUT will win? I'm a proud OUT voter but I know the reality. I'm more interested in the margin of the result. I'm saying around 80/20 or 75/25 because the fear of change will outweigh the fear of the status quo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantina98)
    So I don't live in the UK but I see that everyone in my country(it is in the EU) seems to believe that the referendum won't change anything and even if 'Leave' wins you are actually going to stay. I've also seen some people in TSR claiming this.
    My question is: do you agree? Or Do you, Britons, hope that things are going to change?
    The UK is not Greece you know.

ReputationRep:
    Completely false. In this day and age, governments wouldn't be able to ignore a referendum result. The idea of a referendum is to give the government direction on what it should do (for major things like the EU).

It can also entrench decisions like this, but this really is for when there are high turnouts and a decisive result. I doubt it will have either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Completely false. In this day and age, governments wouldn't be able to ignore a referendum result. The idea of a referendum is to give the government direction on what it should do (for major things like the EU).

It can also entrench decisions like this, but this really is for when there are high turnouts and a decisive result. I doubt it will have either.
    I totally agree.A referendum result shouldnt be ignored. But people believe that this is what happens

ReputationRep:
    To some extent I agree with this.

If the Leave vote wins I don't doubt that we'll eventually leave the EU (albeit it'd probably take quite a number of years for the exit negotiations to be agreed).

I expect, however, that we'd end up joining something like the EEA, which one could argue would leave us in such a similar situation as we are in now that we may as well have never left the EU.

The Government wants freedom of movement, and they'll fight to keep it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    To some extent I agree with this.

If the Leave vote wins I don't doubt that we'll eventually leave the EU (albeit it'd probably take quite a number of years for the exit negotiations to be agreed).

I expect, however, that we'd end up joining something like the EEA, which one could argue would leave us in such a similar situation as we are in now that we may as well have never left the EU.

The Government wants freedom of movement, and they'll fight to keep it.
    Pretty much this bit with some slight economic pain in the beginning. Scotland will probably leave. Gradually the UK will fall apart and England wil turn into a quasi Switzerland utterly dependent on Londons dodgy dealings.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if OP is referring to Boris Johnson's early suggestion that a LEAVE vote could be used to strengthen the UK's hand at negotiations (how, nobody knows), and that we could arrange a better EU membership deal and decide to Remain.

Yeah, I know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.