The Student Room Group

Uni: expectations vs reality

What did you think uni life was going to be like? And er, what did it actually turn out to be like?

Scroll to see replies

Idk, all i want is it to be better than what life is rn.
if it won't be then i would be destroyed tbh cos the thought of something better is the only reason why i continue doing what i'm doing rn.
So i cannot entertain the thought that it won't be good and ik my expectations are idealistic but just need something to keep going for :smile:
ok
Original post by TheRaspberry
ok

My fellow brother.
Had masses of expectations (mainly from people saying), that it's the best time of your life etc...

It's certainly been very different to what I thought - first semester, I was probably the typical uni student, and everything was amazing! Since going back after Christmas, it's been very different, mainly because of 'self-induced' reasons I guess, but still, not been as great since after Christmas.
Reply 5
Unfortunately it has not been all it's cracked up to be, which sucks.
Reply 6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What did you think uni life was going to be like? And er, what did it actually turn out to be like?

Adjusting to having to write with 1.5/double line spacing was terrible.

Line spacing absolutely disgusts me.
Expectations: good class degree = great graduate job with high wage straight away after graduating.
Reality: end up getting the same or a similar job that you could have got when you were 18.
Original post by Davalla
Adjusting to having to write with 1.5/double line spacing was terrible.

Line spacing absolutely disgusts me.

:rofl: You're so right.

But if you were marking it you'd change your mind I bet
posting here to check later to find out what ppl really think about uni....
if you were lonely to begin with, you will still be lonely in uni - unless you put yourself out there, people won't come to you to make friends, you need to step out of your comfort zone and make friends :biggrin: (don't judge me)
Expectations

Reality

Spoiler

Expectations; Drunk people passing time with education as a means to an end rather than as an end

Reality; Drunk people passing time with education as a means to an end rather than as an end
I thought there'd be more house parties in second/third year, but there wasn't!

I go out about once/twice every 3 months I'd say which is enough for me.
I also thought halls would be carnage... but it wasn't. We weren't allowed to party :frown: No music past 10pm. Had to ask for permission to have visitors in our communal area. Outrageous!
Reply 17
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Expectations

Reality

Spoiler

I didn't know you were blond.
Reply 18
Original post by Angry Bird

The first picture looks like adverts for private student halls - those for which you have to pay £7,500 a year. Once you're there, you realise that 70%+ of the other residents are Chinese.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
I didn't know you were blond.

Don't tell everyone smh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending