• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I wish to do this.

There are many sites out there where rules can be looked up but what I'm looking for is a reference book. Something I can use to teach myself the syntax I learnt originally in Primary School. Sadly my prose is often littered with mistakes despite my efforts to double check what I've written.

I am sure there is a mistake or few in this post.

I could neither differentiate between a subordinate clause and independent clause nor could I even loosely define a nominative adjective. Yes, I am fully aware that it is not necessary to know the names of the function and lexical words in order to be articulate but I would prefer to have the knowledge .

(I read The Penguin Guide to Punctuation in my early teens which was very helpful as I then struggled with punctuation :sad:. Something similar would be great)

Please advise
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think I need this, too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I wish to do this.

There are many sites out there where rules can be looked up but what I'm looking for is a reference book. Something I can use to teach myself the syntax I learnt originally in Primary School. Sadly my prose is often littered with mistakes despite my efforts to double check what I've written.

I am sure there is a mistake or few in this post.

I could neither differentiate between a subordinate clause and independent clause nor could I even loosely define a nominative adjective. Yes, I am fully aware that it is not necessary to know the names of the function and lexical words in order to be articulate but I would prefer to have the knowledge .

(I read The Penguin Guide to Punctuation in my early teens which was very helpful as I then struggled with punctuation :sad:. Something similar would be great)

Please advise
    Many thanks
    A noble aspiration. Here's a classic:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Usage-Abusa.../dp/0140514422
    and here is the American version:
    https://faculty.washington.edu/heage...trunkWhite.pdf

Those are both old, although they have been regarded as definitive in their time, but although they are authoritative, language changes and this is more dynamic and user friendly for the 21st century, perhaps:
    http://www.theguardian.com/guardian-...-style-guide-a
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Check out Fowler, another classic - here's an updated version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fowlers-Dic.../dp/0199661359

And a +1 for The Guardian Style Guide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Check out Fowler, another classic - here's an updated version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fowlers-Dic.../dp/0199661359

And a +1 for The Guardian Style Guide.
    Dang it, I knew there was another lurking at the back of my mind. Yes, Fowler also.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Dang it, I knew there was another lurking at the back of my mind. Yes, Fowler also.
    It's the only school text book of any subject I can still remember. I might have to re-purchase it now...

Edit to add: I expect I "only" had the concise version back then.

ReputationRep:
    It's the only school text book of any subject I can still remember. I might have to re-purchase it now...
    Impressive. As I said, language is ever-changing and this is a case where an internet-based resource which can be updated is more likely to be current. It's been a long time since I have used a text book of this kind, and I'm likely to be out of date. One of the best sources I had recommended to me by an examiner when I used to teach A level English Language was this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladybird-Bo.../dp/0721421067
    for a simple and clear explanation of the subject and, once they had got over pretending to be offended, my students used to love it. Now that the Ladybird books have been reinvented in a climate of post-modern irony, there is perhaps an opportunity for someone there.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Now that the Ladybird books have been reinvented in a climate of post-modern irony
    Indeed
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks Carnationlilyrose. I'll check it out next month as a post exam treat.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed
    I have that one... but The Hipster is my favourite. I've bought two copies of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Thanks Carnationlilyrose. I'll check it out next month as a post exam treat.
    Unsure if treat is the right word, but...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.