Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!! Aiming for an A* in OCR Modern World History B! (2016) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I am currently in Year Eleven and since the beginning of my course have been getting straight A's. Of course, I would be satisfied with this come results day - but I am rather ambitious and really panicking because I want an A*!
    A lot of my friends who have got A*'s in the mocks claim that they don't really need to revise. How is this possible? There is so much to know on the specification and I feel I revise for hours but still no A*! How can I think in an A* way? What do I do with the facts??? I'm panicking the most about Paper One.
    If you're an A* History student, how do you revise? Or how do you get A*?
    Paper 1 is in four weeks!!! Help!!!

Here's an example of my question-answering ability:

Q) Explain why the Kaiser's actions over Morocco increased tensions in Europe. (6 marks)

A) The Kaiser's actions in the crises caused tension because the two alliance systems were pitted against each other. Germany tried to humiliate France during the 1905 crisis and test the strength of the Entente Cordiale, by trying to demonstrate Germany’s power and attract Britain to be Germany’s ally instead. So the attempt to split this international relation was a definite cause of tension. Also, the sheer fact that he tried to challenge France’s colonial influence in North Africa infuriated the French. The 1911 crisis challenged the French yet again – definitely increasing tension as Germany had already been humiliated but had to oppose France anyway just for the sake of being her opposition - this showed that Germany was still bellicose and was still willing to oppose France. Also Britain was particularly challenged also due to the Panther gunboat, which was then recognised as a show of Germany’s naval influence. This show of naval power perfectly intertwined at the time with the arms race which led to even more tension as now Britain were fully aware of Germany’s competitive influences – setting off a massive competition between two countries which would culminate in 1914 when Britain declares war on Germany perhaps because of fear of her getting too strong besides the Treaty of London (1839). Yet it could be said that the Triple Entente was made stronger as they stayed together during this crisis, giving the Kaiser even more of an incentive to be unsatisfied so this would make Germany more anxious to disrupt the relations as we see as he tried to challenge the Entente again in 1911.

Tell me how I can improve my History game. I will be eternally grateful.
    Thanks!
    G

ReputationRep:
    I didn't study this at GCSE but I done aqa history and I got an a* with full ums , and I know that the way you write is an a* standard and is very similar to the way I write now at GCSE , to me that looks like a strong 6/6 and I'm no expert but maybe your teacher is really bad at marking , if you want you can message me and I'll be willing to help but I'm confident that will get you a 6/6 in the exam, maybe practice on the 10 markers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brettmulrennan)
    I didn't study this at GCSE but I done aqa history and I got an a* with full ums , and I know that the way you write is an a* standard and is very similar to the way I write now at GCSE , to me that looks like a strong 6/6 and I'm no expert but maybe your teacher is really bad at marking , if you want you can message me and I'll be willing to help but I'm confident that will get you a 6/6 in the exam, maybe practice on the 10 markers ?
    Thanks. Full marks in your exam, wow! Well done!

This is a question I have done myself at home from a past paper - see we haven't done a school mock since November and I have tried to practice at home but this is reassuring to know that you think this is sufficient. Perhaps if I attempted a 10 mark question - maybe one related to the Treaty of Versailles or something you have studied - and put it on here you could look at it and tell me what I need to sharpen it up? Thanks again.

G

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.