Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Received low A-level grades, got into a good uni but should I reconsider? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to a sixth form with an average grade of D+ so I felt like I had to put in everything. I got BBCC for AS which was above average in all my classes and worked my ass off to try achieve ABB to study geology, unfortunately I just scraped passes and got accepted into my insurance thanks to sport.

Fast forward to now, coming towards the end of 1st year. It's been decent but I've always been thinking about the grades which have been affecting my confidence, I've been doing a fair amount of work too; starting essays early, doing lots of revision and making sure I read over concepts I don't understand. Which proved beneficial as I've averaged 2:1s and a few 2:2s here and there.
    But when put into comparison to the students in my course/uni, I feel really stupid and wonder if A-levels was a sign that I should have picked a different uni/course.

Because I dont feel smart enough to be in the uni, I tend to hang around students from a poly

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bballerhandles)
    I went to a sixth form with an average grade of D+ so I felt like I had to put in everything. I got BBCC for AS which was above average in all my classes and worked my ass off to try achieve ABB to study geology, unfortunately I just scraped passes and got accepted into my insurance thanks to sport.

Fast forward to now, coming towards the end of 1st year. It's been decent but I've always been thinking about the grades which have been affecting my confidence, I've been doing a fair amount of work too; starting essays early, doing lots of revision and making sure I read over concepts I don't understand. Which proved beneficial as I've averaged 2:1s and a few 2:2s here and there.
    But when put into comparison to the students in my course/uni, I feel really stupid and wonder if A-levels was a sign that I should have picked a different uni/course.

Because I dont feel smart enough to be in the uni, I tend to hang around students from a poly

University is a chance to start fresh from the first year (sometimes from the second year if first year doesn't count). You've got to uni and now you just need to make the most of what you have and do as best as you can in your degree.

If you're enjoying your course /happy in general (despite your confidence being shaken up) then I wouldn't really suggest thinking about a different uni/course unless it is affecting you significantly - it may just be doubts/nerves/anxiety.

But if you're not happy and feel really uncomfortable around other people then maybe it is time to start thinking about a change, though it's important to think about whether it's really the atmosphere and other people being up in your face about being smart/comparing grades etc, or whether it's more that you are feeling anxious about things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bballerhandles)

I do understand, I came to Uni feeling like I'd scraped in and that everyone else had studied A Levels more relevant to the course. All I can say is, comparison is the thief of joy. It doesn't matter what other people are doing and getting, as long as you're learning and passing everything you clearly deserve your place on the course. Your past doesn't matter. What you do today does, and it sounds like you're determined to succeed with this.

Maybe try to branch out and befriend some people at your University? Hardly anyone is going to be analysing how 'book smart' you are. And finally, intelligence comes in different forms and presents itself in different moments, just because someone doesn't have qualifications to their name it doesn't mean they're not an incredibly capable person.

Good luck and chin up!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.