The Student Room Group

Grading in Maths/Further Maths

So this year I'm doing AS Maths and Further Maths.
As far as I'm aware the modules for each are:
C1, C2 and M1 for Maths
D1, FP1 and S1 for FM.

However I vaguely recall the teacher saying the best modules will go to one or the other. Can we choose which modules go towards each subject, do the teachers decide, do the exam board decide?

It could mean the difference between getting a solid A* and an A, or getting two borderline A*s for example.
Original post by aadil10
C1, C2 and M1 for Maths
D1, FP1 and S1 for FM.

However I vaguely recall the teacher saying the best modules will go to one or the other. Can we choose which modules go towards each subject, do the teachers decide, do the exam board decide?

It could mean the difference between getting a solid A* and an A, or getting two borderline A*s for example.

You can't get an A* at AS. It is all done by an algorithm that maiximises your grade in normal maths first, in the minimum way e.g. if you got say 100 in c1 c2 and 40 in say d1, it would put d1 in normal maths as that still gets you 240 so you get an a
Original post by aadil10
C1, C2 and M1 for Maths
D1, FP1 and S1 for FM.

The exam board do this automatically during certification as far as I am aware :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by samb1234
You can't get an A* at AS. It is all done by an algorithm that maiximises your grade in normal maths first, in the minimum way e.g. if you got say 100 in c1 c2 and 40 in say d1, it would put d1 in normal maths as that still gets you 240 so you get an a

I know, by A* I meant 90 ums overall, which is what you need to get an A* for you A2s isn't it?

Ah right that's good then, I could use one of the bin packing algorithms I learnt in D1 to do it myself xD
Reply 4
Original post by aadil10
C1, C2 and M1 for Maths
D1, FP1 and S1 for FM.

Well C1 and C2 have to stay in normal maths and fp1 has to stay in further maths. The others the exam board will move around for you to maximise the grades, as explained by the first reply, basically dw they will get it right :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by aadil10
I know, by A* I meant 90 ums overall, which is what you need to get an A* for you A2s isn't it?

Ah right that's good then, I could use one of the bin packing algorithms I learnt in D1 to do it myself xD

Are you on edexcel?
Original post by aadil10

A* at a level maths is 180/200 in C3/C4, further maths is 270/300 in modules with a 2 or later in (e.g. m2,m3 fp2 fp3 s2 d2 etc etc). (as well as needing an 80% average across the whole 6 modules)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest