The Student Room Group

Which BTECs should i choose for a future job of a Computer Technician

Hi guys,

Firstly, I really need help with my choices after Year 11 (currently 15!) as i want to know what are the best qualifications for a computer technician. Because i personally enjoy fixing computers, installing software, making sure that the whole work place has a constant network (WLAN or LAN) as I'm very passionate about computers. So what are your guy thoughts on what courses i should do because my GCSE target grades are at least 5 C's and hopefully 1 B or a A in my computing subject that I've taken as a choice.

I can't wait for your responses!.

Many thanks,
Xiom
Reply 1
Level 3 Extended BTEC IT although you would be more skilled than what is required to be a technician so you could do something that would pay you a lot more money
Reply 2
Imo? No qualifications required, drop out now. If you know how to do those things, you're already better than 80% of successful computer techs.

That said, if you want to go beyond that (you've hinted at networking), have you considered something like being a network/systems engineer? Better pay, same kind of problems and tasks (but on a grander scale, with extra challenges).

Quick Reply

Latest