toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A139 - Mass PM Amendment 2016
Proposer: Rt Hon cranbrook_aspie MP
Seconders: Rt Hon Aph MP(LIB), Rt Hon Saracen's Fez MP(LAB), Rt Hon Kay_Winters MP(LAB), Hon EricAteYou MP(LAB), Rt Hon Quamquam123 MP(LAB), Hon KomradeKorbyn MP(LAB), Hon TheDefiniteArticle MP(SOC)
This House would amend the Guidance Document as follows:
Amend
'6) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes and telling people to go and vote.'
to
'6) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes and telling people to go and vote. An exception may be made for election-relatedd mass Private Messages sent by the Community Team on behalf of the Speaker or Deputy Speaker. '

Spoiler:
Show
Notes
After the ridiculously low turnout at the GE just gone, it's clear that we really shot ourselves in the foot by not sending out a mass PM, particularly when the House seems to be going through a period of lack of interest again. It's almost laughable - we're supposed to mimic the real House of Commons, and yet we hold an election and don't even tell the electorate that it's happening. It's been claimed by some right-wing members of the House that the mass PM was adversely affecting their electoral performance, but that theory has been well and truly busted by the results of this mass-PM-less GE, where the number of seats held by right-wing parties actually decreased from 21 to 20. This amendment would remove the ambiguity around whether the mass PM is allowable or not, and in doing so, allow us to actually start publicising the fact that we exist during the most important time in the MHoC calendar again.
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Related has a typo in, relatedd in the amendment, other than that 100% aye
LovepreetDhillon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hear,Hear!
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nah, I disagree. The last election campaign was finally an actual campaign and there's no need to spam everyone.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, let's restore the precedent.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Notes need fixing, for the turnout to be ridiculously low it needs to be, well, ridiculously low. How did I guess this was coming, especially with the historical prime beneficiaries saying "this binding thing shouldn't be voted for as a binding item"

Could also be worded so so much better

Posted from TSR Mobile
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Nah, I disagree. The last election campaign was finally an actual campaign and there's no need to spam everyone.
I thought the Conservatives were suppose to be the party of tradition, not Labour.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay.

But I'd sincerely hope that people would submit without spelling or grammatical errors, especially with so many seconders not checking?

We need to promote the MHoC, fine! But in a way that is appropriate and in the right context. That will lead to increased activity, and increased voting, based on manifestos rather than just a vote on RL opinions.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye- I think one mass PM per GE should be allowed, and trust the Speaker's judgement in this matter.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did propose an alternative wording to add:

"An exception is given for one promotional PM sent by the Community Team on behalf of the Speaker."
Gladiator12345
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just one quick question regarding the ammendment, I may not have understood this properly if so my sincerest apologies. Does this ammendment mean no MP/Party member can ask individual TSR members to go and vote for them?
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gladiator12345)
Just one quick question regarding the ammendment, I may not have understood this properly if so my sincerest apologies. Does this ammendment mean no MP/Party member can ask individual TSR members to go and vote for them?
This is already the case.

The amendment increases participation in the MHoC election. It's a good idea, and I reckon you should vote aye.
Gladiator12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
This is already the case.

The amendment increases participation in the MHoC election. It's a good idea, and I reckon you should vote aye.
Another question then, how do you crack down on people who do this?
Gladiator12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As far as we're aware, IRS all a matter of trust and entirely unenforced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
People get irritated and report the PM.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Realistically you can't unless the recipient reports it.

(This only applies to asking people to vote via PM.)
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
I thought the Conservatives were suppose to be the party of tradition, not Labour.
Since when does being conservative mean support for all traditions regardless of whether they're good or not? It's a tradition I disagree with. The idea of people who know nothing about MHoC deciding our future doesn't make sense.
Gladiator12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
People get irritated and report the PM.
Thank you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (329)
34.6%
No (622)
65.4%

Watched Threads