Do I have to take FM? Watch

M5 Ghost
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Do I have to take Further Maths to do physics or engineering?
hellomynameisr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zXcodeXz)
Really depends on the uni you're planning to go to. If its Oxbridge, then most likely yes. Although they say that FM isn't a direct requirement, it is favoured and would probably give you a big headstart in terms of prep for the degree.

If its other RG unis, however, then I don't think they mind as much. The top ones such as Durham, Bath, Warwick etc would want FM though

Where are you planning to apply to?
M5 Ghost
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellomynameisr)
Really depends on the uni you're planning to go to. If its Oxbridge, then most likely yes. Although they say that FM isn't a direct requirement, it is favoured and would probably give you a big headstart in terms of prep for the degree.

If its other RG unis, however, then I don't think they mind as much. The top ones such as Durham, Bath, Warwick etc would want FM though

Where are you planning to apply to?
Somewhere like Bristol or Imperial College London
hellomynameisr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Somewhere like Bristol or Imperial College London
Both of their uni websites say that maths and physics are essential but fm is highly desirable

I'd say you should do it as it is not necessarily harder, just more modules

If you have any questions about the a level, feel free to ask
M5 Ghost
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Both of their uni websites say that maths and physics are essential but fm is highly desirable

I'd say you should do it as it is not necessarily harder, just more modules

If you have any questions about the a level, feel free to ask
Ok thanks so much for your help! If you don't mind me asking what a levels are you doing?
hellomynameisr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok thanks so much for your help! If you don't mind me asking what a levels are you doing?
I'm doing maths, fm, physics, history and economics and hope to study physics or maths at uni
M5 Ghost
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
I'm doing maths, fm, physics, history and economics and hope to study physics or maths at uni
Wow that's impressive! If you don't mind what did you get in GCSE's?
hellomynameisr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow that's impressive! If you don't mind what did you get in GCSE's?
I kinda under-performed in my GCSE's
I got 3 A*s 6 As which is okay but was hoping for better lol
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you asking this because Further Maths isn't offered at your school or because you don't want to take it? If it's the latter, it's really important to stress that in any good Physics or Engineering degree, you will be spending a very large proportion of your time doing very difficult maths at a much higher level than A Level Further Maths. If spending much of your time doing Maths isn't something that sounds very appealing to you, you probably shouldn't be applying for Physics or Engineering at university. Otherwise, you should without a doubt take Further Maths if the option is available to you.
M5 Ghost
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
I kinda under-performed in my GCSE's
I got 3 A*s 6 As which is okay but was hoping for better lol
That's not really underachieved
M5 Ghost
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Are you asking this because Further Maths isn't offered at your school or because you don't want to take it? If it's the latter, it's really important to stress that in any good Physics or Engineering degree, you will be spending a very large proportion of your time doing very difficult maths at a much higher level than A Level Further Maths. If spending much of your time doing Maths isn't something that sounds very appealing to you, you probably shouldn't be applying for Physics or Engineering at university. Otherwise, you should without a doubt take Further Maths if the option is available to you.
Yeah the option is available, I just wanted to make sure and thanks!
HannahNorman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. Unless it's Oxbridge, and in that case it isn't even essential, just preferred. I don't do further maths and got all 5 uni offers for aerospace engineering, all replied pretty quickly and Sheffield and Southampton even lowered the entry requirements for me. FYI the unis I applied to were Surrey, Sheffield, Bristol, Bath and Southampton. So top unis for aero excluding Cambridge and Imperial
From going to open days and such I realised that part the first year of university for engineering involves getting everyone up to the same level in terms of maths, so they essentially re-teach you a lot of the FM syllabus. Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
HannahNorman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HannahNorman)
No. Unless it's Oxbridge, and in that case it isn't even essential, just preferred. I don't do further maths and got all 5 uni offers for aerospace engineering, all replied pretty quickly and Sheffield and Southampton even lowered the entry requirements for me. FYI the unis I applied to were Surrey, Sheffield, Bristol, Bath and Southampton. So top unis for aero excluding Cambridge and Imperial
From going to open days and such I realised that part the first year of university for engineering involves getting everyone up to the same level in terms of maths, so they essentially re-teach you a lot of the FM syllabus. Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only just realised how long ago this post was... It just happened to pop up on TSR - sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (539)
80.21%
Leave (133)
19.79%

Watched Threads