Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Do I have to take Further Maths to do physics or engineering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zXcodeXz)
    Really depends on the uni you're planning to go to. If its Oxbridge, then most likely yes. Although they say that FM isn't a direct requirement, it is favoured and would probably give you a big headstart in terms of prep for the degree.

If its other RG unis, however, then I don't think they mind as much. The top ones such as Durham, Bath, Warwick etc would want FM though

Where are you planning to apply to?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hellomynameisr)
    Really depends on the uni you're planning to go to. If its Oxbridge, then most likely yes. Although they say that FM isn't a direct requirement, it is favoured and would probably give you a big headstart in terms of prep for the degree.

If its other RG unis, however, then I don't think they mind as much. The top ones such as Durham, Bath, Warwick etc would want FM though

Where are you planning to apply to?
    Somewhere like Bristol or Imperial College London

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere like Bristol or Imperial College London
    Both of their uni websites say that maths and physics are essential but fm is highly desirable

I'd say you should do it as it is not necessarily harder, just more modules

If you have any questions about the a level, feel free to ask
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Both of their uni websites say that maths and physics are essential but fm is highly desirable

I'd say you should do it as it is not necessarily harder, just more modules

If you have any questions about the a level, feel free to ask
    Ok thanks so much for your help! If you don't mind me asking what a levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks so much for your help! If you don't mind me asking what a levels are you doing?
    I'm doing maths, fm, physics, history and economics and hope to study physics or maths at uni
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I'm doing maths, fm, physics, history and economics and hope to study physics or maths at uni
    Wow that's impressive! If you don't mind what did you get in GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's impressive! If you don't mind what did you get in GCSE's?
    I kinda under-performed in my GCSE's
    I got 3 A*s 6 As which is okay but was hoping for better lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Are you asking this because Further Maths isn't offered at your school or because you don't want to take it? If it's the latter, it's really important to stress that in any good Physics or Engineering degree, you will be spending a very large proportion of your time doing very difficult maths at a much higher level than A Level Further Maths. If spending much of your time doing Maths isn't something that sounds very appealing to you, you probably shouldn't be applying for Physics or Engineering at university. Otherwise, you should without a doubt take Further Maths if the option is available to you.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I kinda under-performed in my GCSE's
    I got 3 A*s 6 As which is okay but was hoping for better lol
    That's not really underachieved
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Are you asking this because Further Maths isn't offered at your school or because you don't want to take it? If it's the latter, it's really important to stress that in any good Physics or Engineering degree, you will be spending a very large proportion of your time doing very difficult maths at a much higher level than A Level Further Maths. If spending much of your time doing Maths isn't something that sounds very appealing to you, you probably shouldn't be applying for Physics or Engineering at university. Otherwise, you should without a doubt take Further Maths if the option is available to you.
    Yeah the option is available, I just wanted to make sure and thanks!

ReputationRep:
    No. Unless it's Oxbridge, and in that case it isn't even essential, just preferred. I don't do further maths and got all 5 uni offers for aerospace engineering, all replied pretty quickly and Sheffield and Southampton even lowered the entry requirements for me. FYI the unis I applied to were Surrey, Sheffield, Bristol, Bath and Southampton. So top unis for aero excluding Cambridge and Imperial
    From going to open days and such I realised that part the first year of university for engineering involves getting everyone up to the same level in terms of maths, so they essentially re-teach you a lot of the FM syllabus. Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahNorman)
    No. Unless it's Oxbridge, and in that case it isn't even essential, just preferred. I don't do further maths and got all 5 uni offers for aerospace engineering, all replied pretty quickly and Sheffield and Southampton even lowered the entry requirements for me. FYI the unis I applied to were Surrey, Sheffield, Bristol, Bath and Southampton. So top unis for aero excluding Cambridge and Imperial
    From going to open days and such I realised that part the first year of university for engineering involves getting everyone up to the same level in terms of maths, so they essentially re-teach you a lot of the FM syllabus. Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only just realised how long ago this post was... It just happened to pop up on TSR - sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.