Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azWJ-MtxR2Q
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    no

ReputationRep:
    God showed what he wanted at the beginning, relationship - he walked with man, revealing himself sharing his Life, without religion.

What then, is religion?
    ... respect (shown in various ways) for what is deemed by fallible man to be "sacred" or "divine".
    What is the sacred and divine thing that must be put first?

For most it is that they can find perfection, perfect love and or understanding in themselves. Therefore sacrifices and rituals are performed to enable that will (not "thy will ...") to be done.

In religion man bolts and bars himself against revelation by providing a substitute, by taking away in advance the very thing which has to be given by God.

The central fact of the revelation of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of Jesus Christ, is that God descends to humankind. Never in any way, under any circumstances can we ascend to God, howsoever slightly.

There is no path leading from a little bit of religion (of whatever kind) to a little more and finally to faith. Faith shatters all religion... Religion is from man, revelation is from God.

Revelation is given to people who believe in a God that wants to help them more than they or any man can do, and who are humble enough to rely on his intervention. Religion is the concern of people without these qualities.

The revelation of God is the abolition of religion

Therefore religion is the attempted replacement of the divine work by a human manufacture, a feeble but defiant, an arrogant but hopeless, attempt to create something which man could do.
    It is never the truth.

Religion makes us proud of what we have done
    The gospel makes us proud of what Jesus has done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    God showed what he wanted at the beginning, relationship - he walked with man, revealing himself sharing his Life, without religion.

What then, is religion?
    ... respect (shown in various ways) for what is deemed by fallible man to be "sacred" or "divine".
    What is the sacred and divine thing that must be put first?

For most it is that they can find perfection, perfect love and or understanding in themselves. Therefore sacrifices and rituals are performed to enable that will (not "thy will ..." to be done.

In religion man bolts and bars himself against revelation by providing a substitute, by taking away in advance the very thing which has to be given by God.

The central fact of the revelation of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of Jesus Christ, is that God descends to humankind. Never in any way, under any circumstances can we ascend to God, howsoever slightly.

There is no path leading from a little bit of religion (of whatever kind) to a little more and finally to faith. Faith shatters all religion... Religion is from man, revelation is from God.

Revelation is given to people who believe in a God that wants to help them more than they or any man can do, and who are humble enough to rely on his intervention. Religion is the concern of people without these qualities.

The revelation of God is the abolition of religion

Therefore religion is the attempted replacement of the divine work by a human manufacture, a feeble but defiant, an arrogant but hopeless, attempt to create something which man could do.
    It is never the truth.

Religion makes us proud of what we have done
    The gospel makes us proud of what Jesus has done.
    Then this is a very bad relationship where God cares not for man anymore then. All the illness disease that spreads around God doesn't help in curing it. All the people that die? He doesn't save them.

Religion kills people(things like the holy wars)(not that non religious people don't)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Then this is a very bad relationship where God cares not for man anymore then. All the illness disease that spreads around God doesn't help in curing it. ..
    Nonsense. Disease is mainly result of not being in relationship with God by receiving His Spirit like all the disciples did back in Acts 2 (see vv4, 33, 39)

Until you get that you know nothing, zero, nada about a "relationship with God".

Physical, mental/emotional/spiritual healings follow those who choose that relationship instead of independence, the same error Ada & Eve were duped into ... some people havn't learned anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Nonsense. Disease is mainly result of not being in relationship with God by receiving His Spirit like all the disciples did back in Acts 2 (see vv4, 33, 39)

Until you get that you know nothing, zero, nada about a "relationship with God".

Physical, mental/emotional/spiritual healings follow those who choose that relationship instead of independence, the same error Ada & Eve were duped into ... some people havn't learned anything!
    ...... i can't see how being in a "relationship" with god can benefit you or make you happy and prosper for the rest of your life...

ReputationRep:
    ...... i can't see ...
    That's precisely what I, or rather Jesus is saying, you cannot see (understand), unless you enter thatr relationship by being born again, i.e. receiving something you were not born with, the Spirit of God.

People like you and me began to get that 2000 years ago, this is how they explained it:

"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.
    But God has revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, yea, the deep things of God.
    For what man knows the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knows no man, but the Spirit of God.
    Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God."
    (1 Corinthians 2:9-12)

To make it easier, you can do as I did and meet people like this, that's why we have meetings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    That's precisely what I, or rather Jesus is saying, you cannot see (understand), unless you enter thatr relationship by being born again, i.e. receiving something you were not born with, the Spirit of God.

People like you and me began to get that 2000 years ago, this is how they explained it:

"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.
    But God has revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, yea, the deep things of God.
    For what man knows the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knows no man, but the Spirit of God.
    Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God."
    (1 Corinthians 2:9-12)

To make it easier, you can do as I did and meet people like this, that's why we have meetings.
    so now God is selective aswell as not helping all those in need?

how does meeting someone help that person "understand" as you put it? honestly i think religion wastes people's lives, why devote yourself to something that could or couldn't exist when you devote yourself to family and friends and progress in life like most others do.

ReputationRep:
    so now God is selective aswell as not helping all those in need?
    God is rich to all that call upon him to do what he says.
    Man is selective. Some have chosen to seek God, most have selected their own will.

You must select where you will look for God, if at all.

It would be senseible to look in the right place. If you want to study eagles it's not sensible to look at turkeys.

Where is God? God says he dwells in those that have received Him by receiving His Spirit. When I met people who were living that new life I began to have faith that God does what I and other people cannot do ... satisfy the soul.
    They had a different nature, a reflection of something different, they had a confidence, contentment, that i could not attain to. They spoke of God from personal experience, unlike "religious" people I had met before who "go to church" and talk about God but don't have Hisd Spirit.

Like you, we have given up on "religion" since we have done what you probably havn't, entered into relationship with God. I hope you will do as I did and just follow the first instruction of Jesus:
    "come and see" (John 1:38-39)

Do not presume you have "seen it all before", you havn't, or you wouldn't be saying what you do. Most people have never been to a meeting like God actually details in 1 Corinthians 14.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    God is rich to all that call upon him to do what he says.
    Man is selective. Some have chosen to seek God, most have selected their own will.

You must select where you will look for God, if at all.

It would be sensible to look in the right place. If you want to study eagles it's not sensible to look at turkeys.

Where is God? God says he dwells in those that have received Him by receiving His Spirit. When I met people who were living that new life I began to have faith that God does what I and other people cannot do ... satisfy the soul.
    They had a different nature, a reflection of something different, they had a confidence, contentment, that i could not attain to. They spoke of God from personal experience, unlike "religious" people I had met before who "go to church" and talk about God but don't have Hisd Spirit.

Like you, we have given up on "religion" since we have done what you probably havn't, entered into relationship with God. I hope you will do as I did and just follow the first instruction of Jesus:
    "come and see" (John 1:38-39)

Do not presume you have "seen it all before", you havn't, or you wouldn't be saying what you do. Most people have never been to a meeting like God actually details in 1 Corinthians 14.
    Yes so he's selective, he chooses only the people that "call upon him"

Thing is you can't look for something which isn't materialistic. Yes you can look at others who have received his Spirit.(but you can get the Spirit once you're not born with it????)

Of course not ^-^ i haven't seen everything, and i probably won't in my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    Amen brother or sister

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is definitely a religion - it's a man made construct.

ReputationRep:
    Yes so he's selective, he chooses only the people that "call upon him"
    Yes, he calls and some people respond, he does not program us as robots, he wants free-choice relationship.

Thing is you can't look for something which isn't materialistic.
    You would say that all people that look for love, truth etc are fooling themselves, we are just animals?

Yes you can look at others who have received his Spirit.(but you can get the Spirit once you're not born with it????)
    Well they did! You weren't born with an education but you can get it.

Of course not ^-^ i haven't seen everything, and i probably won't in my lifetime.
    That's your choice, your selection
    Staying in the turkey coop and saying "there are no eagles".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Christianity is definitely a religion - it's a man made construct.
    What you and many people call "Christianity" is what God calls "Babylon Mystery Religion".

ReputationRep:
    I tried Christianity and it didn't work for me. Its too hard and the Bible is no fun. Trying to live the lifestyle got me nowhere and I didn't do anything other listen to certain music and the read Bible which was extremely boring.I too think Christianity is diff from other religions though. Religion is about following rules while Christianity is more building a relationship. It just wasn't for me.

I think a person can actually get bitter trying to life that lifestyle with no direction. People just tell you to follow Jesus and to give up stuff and ends up leaving you with nothing. Thats just my experience with it. BTW, I don't think the holy spirit works that way. I think you have to pray for it for a long time or a while. I used to believe in that too but its a myth with the whole " you already have the holy spirit cuz you BeLiEvEeee"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    I tried Christianity and it didn't work for me. Its too hard and the Bible is no fun. Trying to live the lifestyle got me nowhere and I didn't do anything other listen to certain music and the read Bible which was extremely boring.I too think Christianity is diff from other religions though. Religion is about following rules while Christianity is more building a relationship. It just wasn't for me.

I think a person can actually get bitter trying to life that lifestyle with no direction. People just tell you to follow Jesus and to give up stuff and ends up leaving you with nothing. Thats just my experience with it. BTW, I don't think the holy spirit works that way. I think you have to pray for it for a long time or a while. I used to believe in that too but its a myth with the whole " you already have the holy spirit cuz you BeLiEvEeee"
    Can I just ask how you first became a Christian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Can I just ask how you first became a Christian?
    For me, Christian is a just a label that majority of believers call themselves who are not Christian.

I attended Sunday school and church services as a kid to have the belief.
    The how is reading the Bible and replacing TV and secular music with gospel and reading. I quit after 8 days. If you're any good at it and like it, power to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    What you and many people call "Christianity" is what God calls "Babylon Mystery Religion".
    Catholicism is Mystery Babylon.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is, by definition of the word, a religion.
    You don't get to argue with how words are defined.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.