Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a mate change my ID by painting through the 8 of '1998' to make it look like 1996. I went to a bar and they worked it out and scratched it off. They have given it to the police, what are the consequences if I go to collect it and admit that I had it changed?

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the police officer. I have heard of someone having to collect their ID from the police station before and they just let them off with a warning. If you have a clean record and humbly apologise, then I cannot see them bothering to take the matter further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharms)
    I had a mate change my ID by painting through the 8 of '1998' to make it look like 1996. I went to a bar and they worked it out and scratched it off. They have given it to the police, what are the consequences if I go to collect it and admit that I had it changed?
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    Death sentence.... I think. But what do I know about law, eh?!

ReputationRep:
    Just say you were out with your mates and had a few drinks, then they decided to go to a bar and they were all over 18 but you weren't so you thought you'd mess around and try to get served, honesty in the best policy in this case, play it dumb and be apologetic and just act In a manner that shows you're mature and understand how serious it is

ReputationRep:
    Most likely if you show genuine remorse and admit you were being stupid, they may let you off easily (if you're a first time offender)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Just say you were out with your mates and had a few drinks, then they decided to go to a bar and they were all over 18 but you weren't so you thought you'd mess around and try to get served, honesty in the best policy in this case, play it dumb and be apologetic and just act In a manner that shows you're mature and understand how serious it is
    Thats good advice, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    what if i pay for a new one? and say i lost the old one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiahDawson)
    Lol
    stupid ey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK_23)
    Most likely if you show genuine remorse and admit you were being stupid, they may let you off easily (if you're a first time offender)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah you're probably right, thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    stupid ey
    So did your friend use tipex? 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiahDawson)
    So did your friend use tipex? 😂
    yeah i think so - it was really effective and ive been going to other bars and clubs, but it turns out wetherspoons is strict :')n

ReputationRep:
    what are the consequences if I go to collect it and admit that I had it changed?
    Maximum prison sentence of 10 years under the Fraud Act 2006, 10 years under the Identity Documents Act 2010 or 10 years under the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.

Take your pick

ReputationRep:
    Technically, you have committed fraud. But I doubt you'll get prosecuted. You will probs get a 'warning' or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just act really sorry lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Maximum prison sentence of 10 years under the Fraud Act 2006, 10 years under the Identity Documents Act 2010 or 10 years under the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.

Take your pick
    Are you deluded?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think so - it was really effective and ive been going to other bars and clubs, but it turns out wetherspoons is strict :')n
    Gotta love good old spoons

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pablo Picasso)
    Are you deluded?
    Op asked what the consequences could be, I posted the maximum possible consequences. Deluded would suggest I posted an opinion or belief, I did not. I stated facts.

Sounds like a total jobsworth *******.

1: The ID was your property and he had no right to take it from you
    2: He is not a cop so its not his job to try to enforce the law like that.
    3: Why couldnt he just not serve you a drink and tell you to F.O? Thats all that he is legally required to do. Bit extreme dropping you in it.

Also report your ID as stolen and get a new one. That way it will look like someone else obtained your ID and tried to use it. Should get you out of shoot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    1: The ID was your property and he had no right to take it from you
    2: He is not a cop so its not his job to try to enforce the law like that.
    3: Why couldnt he just not serve you a drink and tell you to F.O? Thats all that he is legally required to do. Bit extreme dropping you in it.
    Police guidelines are for staff to keep the ID and pass it over to the police. Legally they cannot force you to surrender your ID to them however in such cases the advice is for the staff to then call the police anyway so they can just come and get it themselves.

Either way; the staff are doing exactly as they're being advised to by the police.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.