Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I'm new to here!

Recently I have just finished my GCSEs and over the past few weeks I have tried to decide exactly which AS Levels I would like to take.

These are the ones which I have been considering:

Art and Design - I love this subject and it is a must do
    English Language/Literature - a vital subject
    French - I can learn this easily and am well motivated in it
    Geography - well motivated and I enjoy it
    Then either Maths, Sociology or Psychology as I can grasp these subjects quite well.

I should get at least a C or a B for GCSE Art, Eng, French and Geog so no worries there.

Advice on how many I should do would be appreciated. I would really appreciate if anyone who has studied any of these subjects at AS level would give me some feedback on how much studying is involved and how many lessons are involved if possible.

Cheers, James

ReputationRep:
    What do you intend to do in the long term?

ReputationRep:
    5 AS levels is definately manageable. If you are good at maths then maths AS shouldn't be a problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    What do you intend to do in the long term?
    Still something I am very unsure of I'm afraid - which is why I am keeping my options open. I have to do as much as I can in order to find exactly what I want in the long term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonas123)
    5 AS levels is definately manageable. If you are good at maths then maths AS shouldn't be a problem at all.
    The subjects that I have already studied in GCSE shouldn't be too much of a problem, though I hear AS is a massive jump from GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    i would suggest doing subjects you enjoy. I did English lit. so i would definately consider you doing that as one of your AS levels
    i was thinking of taking up psychology up as an extra AS next year, as it sounds really interesting.

French (so i've been told) is very difficult, so i would recommend doing this subject if you got an A/A* and of course you enjoy it ALOT! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i would suggest doing subjects you enjoy. I did English lit. so i would definately consider you doing that as one of your AS levels
    i was thinking of taking up psychology up as an extra AS next year, as it sounds really interesting.

French (so i've been told) is very difficult, so i would recommend doing this subject if you got an A/A* and of course you enjoy it ALOT! lol
    Yeah, I've had a look at some A Level French coursework in this Coursework help area and I didn't understand most of it.
    But as you say, if you enjoy it, then that's all that reall matters

ReputationRep:
    I have also made a revision timetable which I am using already, to get some headstart studying done - I found out that you need to study each AS level subject for 4 hours a week outside of lessons.

So doing six AS levels, I would have to do 4 hours of studying on each day except Saturday - I've decided that on Saturdays I will do absolutely no work whatsoever - Saturday is meant to be the 'enjoy yourself' day :cool:

ReputationRep:
    well i think that u r very determined. i mean 4 hrs of revision per day is alot. i am still in yr.9 and i cant even manage to keep up with my work! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesH)
    I have also made a revision timetable which I am using already, to get some headstart studying done - I found out that you need to study each AS level subject for 4 hours a week outside of lessons.

So doing six AS levels, I would have to do 4 hours of studying on each day except Saturday - I've decided that on Saturdays I will do absolutely no work whatsoever - Saturday is meant to be the 'enjoy yourself' day :cool:
    Well, i had a good attitude at the beginning of the year! :rolleyes: then it went down hill from then! I found it quite difficult at the beginning, ranging from D-Bs (mainly Ds, lol) then i just transformed! and ended up getting As and Bsby the end of the year.

You do get a lot of homework! and some independent study like reading. With Engish lit. we had coursework which is worth a third of the whole mark, which is good we did a novel, poetry and a play, i don't know if that would be the same for you, it depends what board you're on.

Four hours a everynight! whoa, that's way more than i did! lol, mind you, you are supposed to do four hours, i think:rolleyes: but i was so tired when i got in, i think homework alone took me four hours! lol, let alone anything else!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I do a bit in the morning as well I get up at 0600, have breakfast, watch TV then do some homework/revision/studying from 0630 to 0730 before I get ready for lessons and go on the bus around 8ish.

The way I revise (and I'd advise anyone who struggles with revision/studying to listen carefully) is to do one full hour from say 1900 to 2000 and then STOP and just lie down and listen to Eminem or something

I never study or revise for more than an hour.

Then go back to your revision at 2030 and keep revising until 2130. Then have another half an hour break and stroke the cat or something - do something relaxing :cool: Then do another full hour from 2200 - 2300 and after that just go to bed You shouldn't push yourself when studying - just be calm and study at a rate that you feel comfortable with.

It may sound like a lot but in Year 10, the only thing I'd do at the evening is watch T.V, play on X-Box, hang with friends or just do nothing EVERY evening. If you do more revision and more work in the week then you will value and enjoy the weekends far more than when you did before, when you weren't doing much revision/studying.

ReputationRep:
    I think you may be underestimating art..its a lot of work, Its NOT all relaxing painting and drawing etc
    I wrote over 60,000 words for my AS art course, Built a fully working stone and copper fountain, Hundreds of paintings and drawing and a hell of a lot of prep work.
    Not only that at the end of the course when everyone else is revising you will be stuck doing Art coursework.
    I worked my arse off as did everyone else on my course and due to an Edexcel f**k up not a single one of us came out with an A grade.
    We go to one of the best state schools in the country and were marked down because the examiner who came in to mark our work had had a bad day.
    I gave up art after that along with 70% of my AS class because of the discusting way we had been treated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indelible)
    I think you may be underestimating ..its a lot of work, Its NOT all relaxing painting and drawing etc
    I.
    yes, i heard that it was very difficult too! i am sooooooo glad i didn't take it for AS...

ReputationRep:
    I think you may be underestimating art..its a lot of work, Its NOT all relaxing painting and drawing etc
    I wrote over 60,000 words for my AS art course, Built a fully working stone and copper fountain, Hundreds of paintings and drawing and a hell of a lot of prep work.
    Not only that at the end of the course when everyone else is revising you will be stuck doing Art coursework.
    I worked my arse off as did everyone else on my course and due to an Edexcel f**k up not a single one of us came out with an A grade.
    We go to one of the best state schools in the country and were marked down because the examiner who came in to mark our work had had a bad day.
    I gave up art after that along with 70% of my AS class because of the discusting way we had been treated.
    That's just .. um .. well .. sickening. These exam boards should not have these problems - they expect us to turn up at every examination and they are payed to mark each paper and the least they could do is be a little more organised.

I'll take that in mind don't worry

ReputationRep:
    I you like art then its something you SHOULD do...
    I loved it, i still do actually, but bad experiences can ruin things sometimes.
    You should do it, but be aware that the work load is HUGE.
    Art does not get the respect levels it deserves...
    Ive attached a picture of one of my 3 final AS pieces.
    The Essays are evil though, I wrote 37 of them for my coursework altogether.
    If you decide to do art get in contact with me: [email protected] im sure I could 'accidentally' 'lose' them in your computer....
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I you like art then its something you SHOULD do...
    I loved it, i still do actually, but bad experiences can ruin things sometimes.
    You should do it, but be aware that the work load is HUGE.
    Art does not get the respect levels it deserves...
    Ive attached a picture of one of my 3 final AS pieces.
    The Essays are evil though, I wrote 37 of them for my coursework altogether.
    If you decide to do art get in contact with me: [email protected] im sure I could 'accidentally' 'lose' them in your computer....
    Absolutely stunning AS piece there!!!

ReputationRep:
    wow u made that? Was it for AS art or another art coz i didn't know u could make sculptural pieces- any advice would be good coz I am doing it this september. Ta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it was for AS
    Sure, you can make whatever you like! Anything that can be considered art you can do!
    I want to go into engineering so that project really suited me, but i did paintings for final pieces as well...
    I dont actually have a picture of the finished picture of this because my friend took these so I had no say when they were taken!!
    Also heres a picture of the fountain set up on display at school on the day that the examiner came to mark it.... The big green thing is a plastic sheet to make sure that the water runs back into the reservoir underneath - The fountain isn't attached to a hose or anything... A pump sits in a reservoir about the size of a bath tub, usually underground - but at school under a purpose made wooden frame area 4m by 4m.
    This means it can go on, in theory, forever without needing to be topped up, But you have to allow for high levels of evaporation during the summer so I built in a ball **** system and hose to top it up.
    <phew>
    This should go in the Engineering section really I suppose!!!
    Anyway, what is it you want to know about art in particular?
    When you do A project in art about 5% of the time is spent on the final piece, 40% on writing and research leading up to the final piece and the other 45% on drawing and experimentation. I only liked the first 5%
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You should firstly decide what you wanna do later - or list down all options , then decide which subjects .

Maths should be a breeze if you do your stuff . Basically it can get you anywhere.... And eng lit is vital . I agree . Its a very demanding subject

Anyway , I'm torn myself . Should i take accounting or eng lit ? I 'm having a tough time to decide

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Indelible- u already kinda answered what I wanted to know about how much you do for the final project etc. Another thing is how many sketchbooks do you finish with for AS? I will be going to interviews for fine art(hopefully) in January and my AS art work is something I definately want to include because its more to do with the course at the uni than the textile course im doing at the moment.

P.S ur work is really really good- I can't believe you didn't get an A!! :confused:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.