The Student Room Group

Can I get into Medicine at Imperial?

Hi, I'm a Year 13 student.

GCSEs: 5A 5B
AS: CDE

I'm hoping to get 3 A*'s this year in chemistry, biology, psychology (continuing from my epic fail last year) and I was just wondering what my chances were for Medicine at Imperial.

I'm mostly worried about my GCSE's. I'm pretty sure I can get the A*'s (pray for me!) and if I can get the A*'s, I can get a decent score on the BMAT. But there's my GCSE grades and also my work experience.

I'm trying to email places but no one is emailing back. Every time I go into a pharmacy, they tell me my school has to do something, but when I go to my school they tell me they don't have anything to do with their students' work experience anymore, which is just another headache on top of everything.

Also, if I do get the grades, what should I do on my gap year? I'm just really lost right now.

Sorry if its all over the place. :/
Original post by WeaklingNo14

I'm hoping to get 3 A*'s this year in chemistry, biology, psychology (continuing from my epic fail last year) and I was just wondering what my chances were for Medicine at Imperial.

I'm mostly worried about my GCSE's. I'm pretty sure I can get the A*'s (pray for me!) and if I can get the A*'s, I can get a decent score on the BMAT. But there's my GCSE grades and also my work experience.

I'm trying to email places but no one is emailing back. Every time I go into a pharmacy, they tell me my school has to do something, but when I go to my school they tell me they don't have anything to do with their students' work experience anymore, which is just another headache on top of everything.

Also, if I do get the grades, what should I do on my gap year? I'm just really lost right now.

Hey buddy, I study medicine at imperial, so here's my advice. Erm, first of all, it's going to be hard, I'd be more concerned with the AS results than the GCSEs, because, if my maths is correct, I don't think it's technically possible for you to get 3 A*s with those grades unless you're resitting, which is in itself a big ask. But I don't doubt your abilities, so let's hope that works out for you! In terms of work experience, a pharmacy isn't the best way to go, because you won't get any legit experience in a pharmacy, you want to be applying for hospital placements, trust me when I say you need hospital experience, it's invaluable. Hospital placements can take quite a while to get, but I don't think they usually reject people? Apply to a few places, and you should hopefully get them. Big teaching hospitals offer work experience placements that are pretty easy to get, so they're your best bet. In terms of what to do on a gap year, do whatever you think will benefit your application, go abroad if you want, work for a pharmaceutical company, work in a hospital etc, anything that is going to give you some experience, and make you a better applicant.

But yh, for now, your main focus should be your grades, and if you're not resitting then you definitely should consider doing that, because like I said, statistically it's currently impossible for you to get 3 A*s. But it can be done! If it's what you want to do, then don't give up on it
Original post by WeaklingNo14

Agreed with the above poster. Those AS Levels would look worse, especially as GSCEs have a lower weighting for applications. It is certainly possible to get A*s if you work hard enough, but as the above poster has said, it might not even be possible as you need to average 90% over the 2 years. I'd speak to your teachers about that to confirm/discuss your options.

Also, you say "if I can get the A*'s, I can get a decent score on the BMAT". The BMAT is nothing like A Levels. I know so many people that got A*s in their A Levels and flopped the BMAT entirely. They test completely different skills/ways of thinking. I'm sorry to say it like this but I guess it's better to be realistic :frown: That said, it is entirely equally likely that you can ace it still if you work hard on it!

As for work experience, you don't NEED to get hospital/pharmacy experience. What you do need to do is get experience somewhere that you can show off the skills you've learnt. For example, by volunteering at a charity, it can show community participation, teamwork, and give you insight into the workings of your local society which is really important to know as a doctor. To get clinical experience and know if it's right for you, try emailing some foundation year doctors (they tend to be more empathetic) or drop into your local GP and ask. They're more likely to say yes than busy consultants, especially as the GP knows you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest