Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why can't we be allowed to be lazy?
    If people want to be successful and ambitious, that's fine, I'm not jealous, so don't impose that on those of us that want to be lazy as a lifestyle choice.

ReputationRep:
    I've said this before and I'll say it again. In Western society, we've been conditioned from a young age to think that we must pursue and attain what I call "the big 4" - i.e. respectable career, own house, car and a relationship, basically in order to earn the respect of others and conversely avoid being written off as a waster. Being lazy is frowned upon because you're seen as doing nothing with your life.

ReputationRep:
    yes, laziness is a disease that needs empathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4yMz0TAdK4

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're self-sufficient and not relying on the government for money etc, it's fine, but seems a bit of a waste tbh seeing as you only get one shot at life.

ReputationRep:
    As human instinct, it is natural to want to mate with someone who is proactive in order to produce better quality offspring.
    It happens subconsciously.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because naturally and historically we were encouraged to work in 'packs' or as a larger group, in order to survive and to adapt. This then leads on to ideas of social acceptance. If we're seen as lazy then we're automatically defined as not contributing, and exempt or separate in some way from the larger community. Maybe jealousy comes into play as well? 'I'm doing this and working my butt off- you're not. That isn't fair. You're lazy and useless.'

ReputationRep:
    Because hard work is quite rewarding? Why are most things shamed?

ReputationRep:
    cos that "cba" attitude doesn't get **** done

Some people desire success whilst others wake up and work hard for it.

ReputationRep:
    Laziness isn't at all useful to society, being lazy is akin to being a social parasite, so as a consequence society has developed with lazyness being seen as unfavourable.

ReputationRep:
    The Master does nothing,
    yet he leaves nothing undone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.