Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got my provisional license. Where do I go from here? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I applied for and received my provisional license very recently and i'm ready to book lessons but I'm not sure what I should do in what order. I know I take the practical at the end of my lessons, but do I do the Theory before I begin my lessons, or mid-way or after?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1003197)
    I applied for and received my provisional license very recently and i'm ready to book lessons but I'm not sure what I should do in what order. I know I take the practical at the end of my lessons, but do I do the Theory before I begin my lessons, or mid-way or after?

Thanks.
    You can do your theory at any stage you want, but I think it's recommended that you do it before you start practical lessons, not only to get it out of the way but to have some knowledge about the road before you get behind the wheel. It will also save your driving instructor spending an hour parked in a side road explaining how a traffic light works. You can just get stuck into the actual driving.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I would probably argue that it's not always best to do theory test first for a couple of reasons.

You have to pass your practical within 2 years of your theory test pass. So if you do your theory test, and then decide to actually wait a bit for the lessons, you may have to redo your theory. Similarly, say you fail, and take a little longer to learn than you expect, and it takes more than 2 years to pass, you'd need to redo your theory test...

I personally would say, go through the theory stuff before your lessons (and your instructor will still help you on stuff you don't know...), but don't do the theory until you know how fast/slow you're learning, and when you've done some lessons...

I took my theory after about 16 hours of driving, so I had a rough idea of when I would be taking my test, and still had time after that in case I failed, so that I wouldn't have to redo the theory!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1003197)

Thanks.
    As weird as it sounds, I'd say that you should shoot for the theory. Once that's out of the way, you can work towards applying your knowledge on the road!

I'd also reccomend looking for your first car, as well as buying some accessories for your vehicle for when you get going. Stuff like the Highway Code and a Road Atlas are very good examples.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do your theory as soon as possible. I mine 2 days after my 17th. It helped so much and I got my full driving license 2 1/2 months after my 17th. At the end of the day, your theory is just common sense

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.