Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Differences of policy between Labour and Conservatives Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    As someone who's been relatively new to politics and who would like to get into politics I would like to know what the two major parties disagree on.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatives believe in lower taxes and reductions to public spending. Labour prefer higher taxes and higher public spending. Labour are currently in favour of nationalisation, whereas the tories prefer the private ownership of the utilities. Tories are in favour of nuclear weapons, Labour leadership is in favour of scrapping trident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    Conservatives believe in lower taxes and reductions to public spending. Labour prefer higher taxes and higher public spending. Labour are currently in favour of nationalisation, whereas the tories prefer the private ownership of the utilities. Tories are in favour of nuclear weapons, Labour leadership is in favour of scrapping trident.
    Corbyn is but not many other MPS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drosstalk)
    Corbyn is but not many other MPS
    Yes, I put Labour leadership so not to portray all of the party as opposed to trident

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I put Labour leadership so not to portray all of the party as opposed to trident
    Leadership is loosly defined Tom Watson the deputy is my MP and i think he backs it, not certain though. If you class the cabinet i also think Hillary and Andy Burnham would be pro trident. My Favourite labour MP Dan Jarvis is pro trident, and has been in the army I want him as next leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drosstalk)
    Leadership is loosly defined Tom Watson the deputy is my MP and i think he backs it, not certain though. If you class the cabinet i also think Hillary and Andy Burnham would be pro trident. My Favourite labour MP Dan Jarvis is pro trident, and has been in the army I want him as next leader
    When, I said it I meant the people around Corbyn. Definitely think that Hilary Benn would be pro trident. Andy Burnham seems like someone who could be bent into supporting Corbyn's stance.

ReputationRep:
    there's no difference between either party. at the end of the day our mps are being lobbied by big corporations.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatives hate refugees

Labour are kind, thoughtful, loving people who extend a hand of friendship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedenYes)
    Conservatives hate refugees

Labour are kind, thoughtful, loving people who extend a hand of friendship
    Hate is a strong word. For the Record i am a Labour supporter but I don't like immigration. Think of me this way. Labour economic policy (New Labour) and UKIP immigration policy merged into one. If any party offered that they would get more votes than the Tories did last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rammus OP)
    Hey
    As someone who's been relatively new to politics and who would like to get into politics I would like to know what the two major parties disagree on.
    This is a load of crap, judging on current leader... anyway an unbiased answer...

Conservatives perfer lower taxes, lower public spending and highly effecient.
    Labour borrow to invest for future generations, higher growth, higher taxes (aka. fair), higher spending.

An example is the NHS, they get £8bn within the next 5 years extra, they actually require £12bn. Conservatives like to keep spending as low as possible, meanwhile labour would make sure its around £13bn so its above whats really required so no pressure is on NHS than normal.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Conservative
    - Lower taxes
    - Reducing the national debt and deficit ( The difference between how much the government spends and how much its has to spend ) by spending cuts
    -Divided on Britains membership of the EU
    - 2% of GDP on defence
    - All Schools to become academics
    Labour
    - Higher taxes
    - Reduce the national debt and deficit by higher taxes and more borrowing
    - Less Defence spending
    - Railways and energy companies back Into public ownership
    - Wants Britain in the EU

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else noticed that so far, all the posts from people who support the Tories have presented balanced, objective differences between their policies. Whereas everyone who supports Labour has tried to put their own bias on it, or straight up cast the Tories as monsters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rammus OP)
    Hey
    Very generally speaking, the Tories are in favour of less state intervention; so economically, they stand for lower taxes, less government spending, increased privatisation and reduced bureaucracy - that's also why a lot of Tories are opposed to the EU. Socially, they typically are less inclined to spend a lot of money on benefits, and see the solution to unemployment as encouraging private businesses to grow and so create new jobs; for instance, they would desire private enterprises to buy contracts to develop our infrastructure rather than doing it themselves directly. They are also typically more skeptical of immigration and multiculturalism.

On the other hand, Labour are generally in favour of increased state intervention; they want higher taxes to fund increased government spending, nationalisation of utilities and railways (and even steel, amongst some of the more hardline Left), increased government spending and increased bureaucracy - typically in the form of lots of red tape around employee rights and welfare. They often share a platform with the unions. Socially, they are more generous with benefits, which they believe should be funded through increased taxation; especially so taxation of the rich and private businesses. They think the state should create jobs for people, often through things like infrastructure development. They are also typically pro-immigration and pro-multiculturalism.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.