The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1
edders
Somehow, my gut is saying Cambridge at the moment? Even though Oxford's course is supposedly better! (maybe my reading a biography of Wittgenstein and all the stuff he got up to in Cambs is making it seem more exciting than it actually is?) :confused:

It really sounds as though you're favouring Cambridge in just about every aspect.:smile:
I suppose it all boils down to how important the quality of the course itself is to you - but then again, you are probably doing it as an extra qualification to put on your cv rather than because an MPhil in economics has always been a childhood dream of yours. Besides, there's no guarantee you'd actually like the Oxford course any better, so I'd say the Cambridge course seems to have more points speaking in its favour.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
edders
1) I much prefer Sidney to St X. It's much older, has the cool formal halls, and has Cromwell's head buried in the chapel. St X is graduate-only, which I don't think I'd like very much. It would be nice to have some undergraduates to potentially mix with?

2) I don't think the prospect for accom. is great at either. Sidney has little hostels you share with like 6 people, not sure about St X. I will say though that I'm craving peace and quiet to think, at the moment, and Cambridge seems the better place for this?
Have a look at St. Cross before you decide. Firstly, most graduates in any college I know (Oxford or Cambridge) hang out with each other - there's not much graduate/undergraduate interaction. The MCR and the department tend to be where everyone meets their friends. Also, St. Cross is generally considered to have good facilities? I know the food there is rumoured to be amazing (I'll let you know, I'm dining at their ball in a couple of weeks).

edders
My feeling at the moment is, though, that by choosing a one year diploma course if I hate economics I'm not committed to a second year. Whereas if after one year at Oxford I want to leave (or encounter a funding crisis) I leave with nothing. At least if I leave Cambridge with the diploma, to work for a few years, I'm guaranteed entry to the one year MPhil if I obtain a sufficient grade ( > 65 I think).
This is sensible, and could be a good point. How well do you know economics, or at least know what you'll be studying to see what you prefer? The courses are very different, a lot more so than the towns (Cambridge may be better for peace and quiet, but every Tab I know who's come to spend time with me at Oxford seems to notice how similar it is).

Tbh, neither are bad options. The MPhil, being a straight MPhil, will likely be a steeper learning curve, but also means if you go on to DPhil you do it in a year less. And even just after the MPhil the 2 year MPhil is better regarded, generally, for being a 2 year course. However that's a double-edged sword, as the diploma will be an easier entrance. I haven't heard anything about the tuition for the diploma, so I can't comment on that. However I will point out that you also need a high mark on the MPhil at Oxford in order to progress to the 2nd year. What's written on that forum about marks is true, but it's not the whole truth. You don't have to write something not asked to get 70+, you need to say something interesting, to add something. If someone asks you how and why Cournot and Bertrand equilibriums differ and which is more realistic, and you gave a really decent answer about quantity vs. price competition, you'd like get a 65. To get higher, you'd need to add what happens if they have heterogeneous products or if they have capacity constraints. It's not about adding something not asked, it's about going a bit further than just answering the basic question. To get a first, you have to know the basic answer, then remove an assumption, or make the problem more realistic and show that you know what to do.

Also, you can always get a 1st by getting econometrics right.

Are you funding both yourself now?
Reply 3
Drogue
What's written on that forum about marks is true, but it's not the whole truth...

Oh, and thanks for this bit extra too. Sounds fair to me. :smile:
Although I know absolutely nothing about post-grad economics courses :smile:, I would say go to Cambridge. Just sounds like you would enjoy yourself more at a regular college. Also, even if the Cambridge course isn't as good, reputation-wise it cant be too bad.

You can always come back to Oxford for a DPhil if you do well. Get the best of both worlds and all that.Gives you an incentive I suppose if you have been studying as long as you, I imagine you need it.

Edit: I think St. Cross is quite pretty
edders
As an update to this thread, I hate Oxford and wish I was at Cambridge.

:frown:

If you don't mind me asking, what swung you towards Oxford in the end?
Reply 6
As an update to this thread, I hate Oxford and wish I was at Cambridge.
So you can have experience hating both places?

Latest

Trending

Trending