Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It says,
    If more than 5 cm3 of DCPIP are completely decolourised, dilute the fruit juice and repeat the test.

Why's that?

BUMP

ReputationRep:
    I assume because if you are trying to estimate the concentration of vitamin C and compare it to other juices, after a specific concentration it will completely discolourise DCPIP. Meaning that you can't distinguish between concentration of different juices. For example if 5mol/ml vitamin C discolourises DCPIP, so will 7, 10 or 1000mol/ml. It is simply to be able to tell between these that you have to dilute. I would say that if you are comparing and you only have 1 juice completely discolourising DCPIP then there would be no need to, unless you are measuring specific concentration using spectrophotometry or something.

(Original post by alkyone)
    I assume because if you are trying to estimate the concentration of vitamin C and compare it to other juices, after a specific concentration it will completely discolourise DCPIP. Meaning that you can't distinguish between concentration of different juices. For example if 5mol/ml vitamin C discolourises DCPIP, so will 7, 10 or 1000mol/ml. It is simply to be able to tell between these that you have to dilute. I would say that if you are comparing and you only have 1 juice completely discolourising DCPIP then there would be no need to, unless you are measuring specific concentration using spectrophotometry or something.
    I see! Thaanks!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.