Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Weird things that make me feel a little better when I am depressed watch

Announcements

Lets say I have eaten a big meal and haven't got out all day a few hours later I start wanting to go to toilet, the longer I hold it in when I do go I feel much more relaxed.

Having a long shower, im a little tired or tense at first but longer I am in the less I want to get out and I feel "fresh" afterwards.

Having a glass of water, now this one works only on the most basic level alongside something else.

All 3 make some sense but the things I am trying to work out is how that affects mind, going to the bathroom means less physical weight on me so I feel lighter which I interpret as relaxation, having a shower loosens muscles so makes me feel even lighter.

Of course doing all 3 makes me feel somewhat good about the day.

Why is this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Lets say I have eaten a big meal and haven't got out all day a few hours later I start wanting to go to toilet, the longer I hold it in when I do go I feel much more relaxed.

Having a long shower, im a little tired or tense at first but longer I am in the less I want to get out and I feel "fresh" afterwards.

Having a glass of water, now this one works only on the most basic level alongside something else.

All 3 make some sense but the things I am trying to work out is how that affects mind, going to the bathroom means less physical weight on me so I feel lighter which I interpret as relaxation, having a shower loosens muscles so makes me feel even lighter.

Why is this?
    I tended to find that depression meant apathy along with sadness. I felt distanced from reality and like nothing was quite... right ever. I think, possibly, part of the reason is that it's something you feel that pulls you out of that "depression fog" a bit and brings you closer to reality.
    As you said, it may have to do with muscles and things too. Needing the toilet means muscles keeping it in until you are ready (so relaxing when you are ready) and showers mean warming and massaging which also relaxes. Water is probably related to hydration and it being cool.
    All those things are positive feelings which, despite being small, probably help bring you out of the depressive world just a tiny bit (and a tiny bit of relief can be a big deal). I think i sometimes found that the bigger or more emotionally involved positive experiences got drowned out, but little things sometimes slipped through.

Everybody's mind works differently and there isn't necessarily a real logical reason behind things, especially when dealing with mh conditions which tend to warp the usual trends and logics. There may not be a real reason that you're able to work out, but even so hold onto those positive times even if they're only little.

ReputationRep:
    Random acts of kindness

ReputationRep:
    why can i relate hahaha omg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Why is this?
    .... i sorta have this too

but then again i'm cursed with the huge poops i produce

ReputationRep:
    Why is it the date and time the OP posted this 01-01-1970 01:00? :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.