Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    out of these 3 what is the best for a student?

i'm looking for a laptop where i'll mostly be using things like word etc and doing some research and finding info, maybe playing an occasional game.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-asp...skuId=566-5449

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-asp...skuId=553-0602

http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-...skuId=166-5539

ReputationRep:
    #1 has twice the hard drive space. You aren't going to need the extra RAM with #3 given your requirements. All of the CPUs are more than capable of dealing with your requirements. #1 is probably the best option, especially given how much cheaper it is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BlueSam3)
    #1 has twice the hard drive space. You aren't going to need the extra RAM with #3 given your requirements. All of the CPUs are more than capable of dealing with your requirements. #1 is probably the best option, especially given how much cheaper it is.
    Just to clarify, #3 is cheapest and #1 has the most RAM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROC10)
    Just to clarify, #3 is cheapest and #1 has the most RAM.
    Oh, yeah, invert the order.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I can't honestly say I'd ever recommend anything made by Acer. Never had anything but bad luck with them. However the only model of the 3 I'd recommend would be the the first one on the list, with the i5 and 8GB of RAM.

Both the others having 4GB just doesn't feel right to me, 8GB is my personal sweet spot and minimum, even if you're only using the laptop for light usage. The i7/4GB RAM combo is also laughable. The CPU is way more powerful than it needs to be for that amount of RAM and you won't actually be able to use it anywhere near it's potential as a result. The AMD model is an instant no from me as well.

The i5 model isn't amazing either, only being a dual core. 8GB of RAM is nice with an i5 but also a waste if you aren't utilising it thanks to a slow CPU. a quad core i5 with 8GB of RAM would be more suitable.

Frankly all of these laptops are terrible. I certainly wouldn't pay £430 for a dual core i7 and 4GB of RAM. I'd expect at least 8GB at that price point. The £290 AMD model isn't a bad price but cheap laptops are cheap for a reason. The i5 isn't showing a price but it'd need to sit under the £350 mark for me to even look at it.

My recommendation for buying a laptop is to spend more than you'd like. It'll save you money in the long run. These cheap laptops break easily, tend to have problems, run slow and so on. Buy something more expensive that lasts. It's cliche but there's a reason everyone goes around with Macbooks. As much as I hate to admit it they work and they last. They're expensive for what you get but it's somewhat justified in construction and support.

If you're willing to spend upwards of £400 spend a little more and get something decent in that price point. Don't cheap out.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.