The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Freudian Slit
What fantasies :colonhash:

Fantasies about Liberal and I getting together. :lol:
None of us knows. Some people are just unfortunate and are born with a disability.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Again, if God is all-knowing then a test isn't possible. And this justification makes your god look even worse, giving an innocent child a horrible disease just to play out some sick, twisted test? Yuck, Allah sounds worse than Satan.

And.... how does that work? (I have an idea but want to see how your putting it.)
Original post by JordanL_
My parents love me but they still punish me if I'm an ********, to make sure I don't turn into a bigger ********.

Do you have "remain" in your profile pic because you remain attached to your mother's umbilical cord?
Original post by champ_mc99
And.... how does that work? (I have an idea but want to see how your putting it.)

I explained it in the first couple of pages of this thread.
I explained it in the first couple of pages of this thread.

Oh, why the mentally disabled get tested argument? Thought this was about something else.
Original post by champ_mc99
Oh, why the mentally disabled get tested argument? Thought this was about something else.

I think I quoted the Ahmad guy where I spoke about a test being dependent on doubt.
It's because God (at least the Abrahamic God) doesn't exist - It's all in our head. I think that deep down a lot of people know that this is the truth, but they find it hard to come to terms with. Religious people will probably say it's all a test, but the truth is that it's not a test because when we take a test we are given the same resources as others in our class (i.e. the same teaching materials, etc). And yet, life is not equal, because people are born into different circumstances. So, the creator has rigged the test in the first place. What kind of test does a person in a coma have, or someone that is completely paralysed, or a child that dies in still-birth?

That's why I believe there is no God, because how can a God allow such suffering to exist on such a large scale?
Reply 208
this is just a theory, not really based on anything, but have you thought from a christian viewpoint, after he made the world and whatever people that was that, he might give us our souls as we are born, but or body is phsycal. we, disabilities are often caused through developmental problems in the womb, like i have dyspraxia and autism, but i have it because of a development problem, that could have been caused from dad's drinking, or both parents smoking.

Also, i know many people with disabilities, some that don't know any different, and even though they can't talk or walk, they are some of the happiest people i know. They are beautiful and i don't think there is anything wrong with being different. i know it's more difficult for the people who have disabilities and that actually have an awarness, but we are all unique, I know a boy who is blind, a bad thing?, to most yes, but he was born blind and is the most kind hearted person i'll ever know and he can play guitar like you wouldn't believe. We tend to see disabilites as a bad thing, but we are all beautiful on the inside (unless your a baddie, but that's beyond the point).

Anyway, i know this is just a little rant, but i hope i've been able to put some perspective onto things

Don't want any arguments, i just wanted to put it out there.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think I quoted the Ahmad guy where I spoke about a test being dependent on doubt.

Oh yeah. I remember having a 2 hour discussion/debate about this with my Catholic friend (the irony). It'll take ages.
i guess god testibg us in different ways. stupid because it makes ppl insecure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoe33
this is just a theory, not really based on anything, but have you thought from a christian viewpoint, after he made the world and whatever people that was that, he might give us our souls as we are born, but or body is phsycal. we, disabilities are often caused through developmental problems in the womb, like i have dyspraxia and autism, but i have it because of a development problem, that could have been caused from dad's drinking, or both parents smoking.

Also, i know many people with disabilities, some that don't know any different, and even though they can't talk or walk, they are some of the happiest people i know. They are beautiful and i don't think there is anything wrong with being different. i know it's more difficult for the people who have disabilities and that actually have an awarness, but we are all unique, I know a boy who is blind, a bad thing?, to most yes, but he was born blind and is the most kind hearted person i'll ever know and he can play guitar like you wouldn't believe. We tend to see disabilites as a bad thing, but we are all beautiful on the inside (unless your a baddie, but that's beyond the point).

Anyway, i know this is just a little rant, but i hope i've been able to put some perspective onto things

You're right... but disability can make life very hard... but there is great value in variation. So long as it isn't completely devastating to the individual, resulting in a complete loss of insight.
I wouldn't thank 'god' for disability, I would tell him to f* off (assuming that is what you refer to in your 'Christian' viewpoint).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
That's such a bad way to look at it.

im deaf lol must be karma darn it hahahahhah actually no I think it the best thing in the world coz I have an impant and if I find u annoying I can mute u hahahah obv there are some downfalls but ahh there are downfalls to everything
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes your god gave my cousin muscular dystrophy when he was born because of his "past sins" as a punishment. Despite not being born yet. He's given him a test, despite the fact he can barely even move and needs to be fed at 30. He'll likely be dead in 5 years. GG god, nice test.
Seriously this is one of the most insulting things I've read on here, trying to justify disability like the people deserve it or something. Seriously pathetic.

Not past sins but original sin. I don't know about other religions but when it comes to Christianity, we are all born with the original sin due to mans disobedience to God. Part of the punishment for this disobedience was to subject all of creation to decay. We live in a sinful world. That original sin brought about imperfection, disease and illness. We are all imperfect in one way or another but it boils down to a matter of degree. Handicaps such as the one you've mentioned are a natural result of mankinds rebellion against God. There was a story in the bible about a man born blind. When asked why he was born that way, the response was that his disability was created so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.
The one thing that religious believers stick by is that all disability is temporary and if you put all your hope and faith into God, he will reward you in the eternal afterlife.

This is what I was taught.
God made them special
Original post by Zoe33

I agree. We are all beautiful!
Original post by AhmedMA99
Life would be too easy if we had everything preserved for us.
God wants us to feel thankful for what we have so he tests
us with disabilities, illness, poorness etc..
Some people have more than what we have, some have less.
That's just how life works. You have to work for your
success. Nothing is served on a golden plate.
Sometimes these disabilities are a punishment for
doing something bad or maybe just to remind us
of thanking God for what we have.
In conclusion, God wants us to work hard in our
lives and thank him for everything either it being waking up
in the morning or going to sleep in the night.
Maybe you can think about all the poor and homeless people
all over the world with no beds to sleep on.
If God gave everyone everything, no one would
thank God for what he have.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to type this.

Try telling cancer patients that they're led in that very hospital bed dying because "they weren't thankful enough" or "cancer is a punishment for your naughtiness" or "it wouldn't be fair to give everyone a level playing field"

If that's the case, that fictitious God you speak of is a c**t.
Does He have to? And just to make sure, if you had disproved God, you mean only the Abrahamic God right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Because diversity is beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by monkeyboy18000
Because diversity is beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is nothing beautiful about someone born with one leg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending