The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by mariachi
so, you mean that, therefore, no one is going to fail the test ?

what's the point of this absurd 'test' in the first place ?

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Many, many people would beg to differ, including those who have committed suicide.

Stop using logic. :rolleyes:
Original post by hezzlington
In what way does he (God) compensate
couple of virgins here and there, listening to some cool angelical choirs, learning to play the harp, relaxing in beautiful gardens...

the usual things
Those born disabled go to heaven more easily.
Original post by hannah5176
i wouldnt want to be not deaf coz a it boring and b u have to hold ur ears if fire alarm went off where as being deaf i can just take me implant out hahhahah

Keep trying to convince yourself that. :biggrin:
Original post by xobeauty
God has nothing to do with that

Is this a "God doesn't exist" statement or a statement blatantly undermining God's omnipotence?
Original post by RobML
Maybe I'm not understanding this properly but I'm failing to be convinced.

1. Free will has no bearing on the validity of the argument from evil (if so explain), so how is it a refutation?

2. It's a baseless assumption that God prefers his children to have free will

3. Any non-superficial definition of free will seems to be incompatible with an omnipotent and omniscient God in the first place. Firstly, God is the source of everything. Secondly, God knows everything. God is the source of all our actions and God has eternally known what all our actions would be, i.e. all our actions are determined by God, whether they be good or evil.
Therefore there is no possible world where someone could have chosen to do either good or evil, and so Plantinga's entire argument seems to fall apart

1. You need to wrap your head around transworld depravity.

2. It's based on Christian belief, in an argument defending a Christian God. Furthermore all the proof needs is for it to be logically possible that God prefers free will.

3. I cba to get into that issue right now but I've never found the reasoning to be at all convincing here. God know what you evil do because, for him you have already done it. I see no logically convincing proof that him knowing tomorrow's event X causally entail's X. It's just that, as a matter of fact, X happens.
Reply 266
Original post by banterboy
1. You need to wrap your head around transworld depravity.

2. It's based on Christian belief, in an argument defending a Christian God. Furthermore all the proof needs is for it to be logically possible that God prefers free will.

3. I cba to get into that issue right now but I've never found the reasoning to be at all convincing here. God know what you evil do because, for him you have already done it. I see no logically convincing proof that him knowing tomorrow's event X causally entail's X. It's just that, as a matter of fact, X happens.

1. If our free will is necessary to the Christian God's perfect benevolence as you say in point 2, then free will consequentally does have a bearing on the the argument from evil, and that is so without the need to ever invoke transworld depravity. So what is the purpose of it in that case?

2. That's fair

3. "God know what you evil do because, for him you have already done it" Aye, God is omniscient and sees all of time at every instant, as if a movie reel. But-
"I see no logically convincing proof that him knowing tomorrow's event X causally entail's X. It's just that, as a matter of fact, X happens" I'm not understanding what you're saying here, though. Is it that him knowing an event will happen doesn't cause the event to happen?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by banterboy

think you may have missed the extra condition(s) where god is the omnipotent source of everything: he is the ultimate cause of everything, and is omniscient so also knew the full consequences of this. i probably agree with you re omniscience alone
[video="youtube;McqoFdTFWj4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McqoFdTFWj4[/video]
Reply 269
There are two options:

1) There is no god.

2) There is a god, but he is a complete and utter [insert word that rhymes with hunt].

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending