Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a query about uni and funding, my situation is a little unusual so I'll explain.
    I did a 2 year HND course (received SF funding), which allowed me to enter a degree course in its 2nd year (i.e. direct entry), which I am currently in. This degree is a 4 year sandwich course (one of the years is a work placement). This is at QUB.

My experience went like this:

2013-2015
    > HND (2 Years)

2015-2016
    > Uni Degree (direct entry to Year 2)

Recently, for numerous reasons, I've been regretting my choice of skipping 1st year to go directly into 2nd year.

I was wondering if it's possible to start over from 1st year (of the same degree).

Also would I get funding for this and if so how much?
    (Considering by the end of this academic year, I will have received 3 years of Student Finance support, during 2 year HND and 1 year of uni course.)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I would suggest phoning up SFNI but I don't think you will from what I understand from here:

Changing course after you have started a course

Will I receive student finance for all the years of my new course?

We will reassess your entitlement to a Maintenance Loan and a Tuition Fee Loan for the whole of your new course, but only If:
    • you change courses before the start of the second year of your course; and
    • you have not changed course before
    You may have to pay your own tuition fees for part of the new course. This depends on the duration of your new course and the number of years of previous study you have been financially supported for.Provided you do not already have a UK Honours degree, you will be able to receive a Maintenance Loan for as long as you are studying a course of higher education.
    This is from Student Finance NI's website. I could be wrong, but I do think it best to ask SFNI and talk to your uni.

ReputationRep:
    I am on the exact same boat as you although I left university in October as i hadnt a clue what was going on (I had direct entry to year 3 over in Edinburgh) and now I'm going into first year at Jordanstown. Cant seem to find any information regarding grants or loans but I know for definite i have to pay a tuition fee loan. Ive tried ringing them today but I havent got through, their website must also be down today because i cant get on it either...unless they just dont want to deal with me lol.

If you find out please reply and let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedhelp395)
    I am on the exact same boat as you although I left university in October as i hadnt a clue what was going on (I had direct entry to year 3 over in Edinburgh) and now I'm going into first year at Jordanstown. Cant seem to find any information regarding grants or loans but I know for definite i have to pay a tuition fee loan. Ive tried ringing them today but I havent got through, their website must also be down today because i cant get on it either...unless they just dont want to deal with me lol.

If you find out please reply and let me know!

I know that if you complete a HND and then enter a degree in it's first year, you only receive a maintenance loan (no grant or tuition fee loan) for that year. But normal funding resumes after the first year.

Still not sure how it works if you do (as I did): HND, then a year of uni, then go into first year of a degree.

I've heard that the formula for student finance is:
    [Length of course] + [1 year] - [years already studied in HE]

If it does work like that, in my case this would be:
    [4 years] + [1 year] = [5] -> [5] - [3 years of HE study] = [2]

So if I then started from first year of a degree, I would only have 2 years of SF support (for the final 2 years), but would have to pay for the first two years myself?
    But again I am not sure about this.

If you do get through to SFNI by phone please let me know what they say about it and reply here, would greatly appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Just wondered how things worked out for people with regards to their funding? My son is about to go into the second year of a HND in Newry, and may apply to join the second year of the Health and Social Care Policy degree at Jordanstown. Also; are you allowed to live in student accommodation if you join the uni for the first time in the second year or do you have to move in to your own private flat? [Can't see him liking that !!] Thanks !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.