Advice about acommodation for new students

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! So I'm a student at Abertay and I've been in the uni halls for almost 8 months now and wanted to give you some advice. First at all, avoid at any cost the university halls, they are a completely rip-off (lesson learned). There's no intimacy as the janitors/contractors/Peter the eel are coming into your room/kitchen like 1000 times to check 1893219847392 different irrelevant sh*ts. Plus, there are false fire alarms at many times and they check them every single week, which means that if you're sleeping you'll be freaking out. Not only that, but apart from paying about 400 quids (more like 500) a month, you'll have to pay for the washing machine (2.50 each time) and the cheeky bastards will tell you that you shouldn't dry the clothes in your room because the walls will get damaged and therefore you should use the dryer (1.50). I'm currently at Meadowside and know people from the other halls and we're all really pissed off. Last but not least, the materials they use for the stuff is absolutely sh*it, and they even have a list of the price of EVERYTHING, so they can happily charge you as they want if anything gets broken (it will). We're still waiting if they'll charge us for something before we leave.

Ps. I forgot to say that in Meadowside there's just one washing machine and one dryer for THE WHOLE BUILDING, which means 8 flats by 9 people each = 72 people, which means you'll be screw*d because it is always busy (plus it gets often broken because they are a completely bunch of _______)

So, WHAT CAN YOU DO?

If it's your first year and want to meet people I'd completely recommend you halls and, as the uni ones are not an option, I'd say prime living (the old Mill) is a very decent (and cheaper) one.

All in all, don't pay a single pen to the uni halls because they don't deserve them. Glad to help.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for you feedback, really. Could you (or even someone else) give your (or his) opinion about Parker House? Just to have an idea of each one, even if I noticed you wrote in another topic about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hank1996)
    Thank you for you feedback, really. Could you (or even someone else) give your (or his) opinion about Parker House? Just to have an idea of each one, even if I noticed you wrote in another topic about that.
    Parker House

Is it expensive? Probably the most expensive, but compared to other student places its way better: you get what you pay for
    Janitors/Contractors/Maintenance? They're always there, just pop over the reception, sign a maintenance sheet and they'll come over that day
    Fire alarms? Once a week scheduled but you'll get a few false ones a month, same with any other student place
    Washing Machines? Rip-off? I guess, but there's enough for everyone

Honestly the *****est thing about Parker House is students, especially in freshers since they'll stay outside chatting or hold house parties but that's a given in any student accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay10101)
    Parker House

Is it expensive? Probably the most expensive, but compared to other student places its way better: you get what you pay for
    Janitors/Contractors/Maintenance? They're always there, just pop over the reception, sign a maintenance sheet and they'll come over that day
    Fire alarms? Once a week scheduled but you'll get a few false ones a month, same with any other student place
    Washing Machines? Rip-off? I guess, but there's enough for everyone

Honestly the *****est thing about Parker House is students, especially in freshers since they'll stay outside chatting or hold house parties but that's a given in any student accommodation
    Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Two question: are washing machines a rip off as much as the ones in other accommodation?
    I think there is a regulation about party or having guests. How much are they strict about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hank1996)
    Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Two question: are washing machines a rip off as much as the ones in other accommodation?
    I think there is a regulation about party or having guests. How much are they strict about it?
    Thanks for your input jay10101

Hey hank1996, Parker House is one of our residents so hopefully we can help with any questions you may have.

The onsite washing facilities are managed by Circuit Laundry, and the price for a wash is £2.80, and £1.30 for a dry. I believe that Circuit Laundry manage the other halls facilities too, and this is a set price.

With regards to guests staying over, just let your flat mates know out of common courtesy. Guests can stay for two consecutive nights, any longer and you'll need to let the team down in reception know.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.