Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, This year I'm doing 3 A-Levels: Comp Sci, Physics and Maths.
    After not knowing what I wanted to do at the beginning of the year I've decided I want to study mathematics at University. I know that some (top)Uni's require Further Maths whilst most like it. I have gotten an A in 19/20 tests/mocks we've done in AS (90%-95% average), and A high bronze in the UKSMT(no prep). I have the option of studying AS Further Maths next year which I will take alongside my 3 A-levels, I also enquired about taking A2 further maths next year and dropping Comp sci or Physics but I was told I cannot do it due to the order in which they study the modules (FP1 and FP2 both done in autumn, same with M1/2). As I am really interested in doing A2 further maths to strengthen my uni application (and because I enjoy it) I've looked into the FMSP in order to study A2 FM in my spare time as I can study the modules in the order that suits me. However if I do this I will not be able to drop Physics or Comp Sci as then I would only be doing 2 A-Levels in College which is not allowed. I understand this would be a lot of work to undertake, and in hindsight I opted for FM at the start of this year as that would've been a much easier way to get the 4 A-Levels
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Mitchb777)
    Hi, This year I'm doing 3 A-Levels: Comp Sci, Physics and Maths.
    After not knowing what I wanted to do at the beginning of the year I've decided I want to study mathematics at University. I know that some (top)Uni's require Further Maths whilst most like it. I have gotten an A in 19/20 tests/mocks we've done in AS (90%-95% average), and A high bronze in the UKSMT(no prep). I have the option of studying AS Further Maths next year which I will take alongside my 3 A-levels, I also enquired about taking A2 further maths next year and dropping Comp sci or Physics but I was told I cannot do it due to the order in which they study the modules (FP1 and FP2 both done in autumn, same with M1/2). As I am really interested in doing A2 further maths to strengthen my uni application (and because I enjoy it) I've looked into the FMSP in order to study A2 FM in my spare time as I can study the modules in the order that suits me. However if I do this I will not be able to drop Physics or Comp Sci as then I would only be doing 2 A-Levels in College which is not allowed. I understand this would be a lot of work to undertake, and in hindsight I opted for FM at the start of this year as that would've been a much easier way to get the 4 A-Levels
    Hey there I studied Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A2 in Year 13 as well as picking up AS + A2 Further Maths in that year as I wanted to study it at uni.

It is quite demanding to study 4 A2s (plus an AS). However, maths is quite similar to further maths (surprisingly!) in that you don't need to learn things and write essays, you just look at examples and practice loads of questions, so it kind of feels like 1 and a half A2's rather than 2.

As long as you enjoy it it's not that bad, although it can be slightly time consuming, and you just have to remember to do enough work for your other subjects as they are just as important if you want to meet an offer from a top uni for maths.

Those are the cons. The pros are, well, it puts less of a demand on STEP if you even decide/need to sit it - I believe that doing STEP is a requirement for top unis, and then for some below, if you sit it it lowers your offer slightly.

And it's just good for your mathematical ability/knowledge. The unis may go over it and teach everyone without assuming knowledge of Further Maths - best to check the course - but it helps if you've seen stuff before.

And, if you get the choice, I think that Statistics/Decision modules are easier to self teach than mechanics, but do the ones that you think you'll enjoy the most. (I did S1-4, M1 and D1 ).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.