Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! So I'm currently studying a degree in a Scottish university and I was wondering if I will need to take again an IELTS exam to apply for a postgraduate course as English is not my first language. Has any of you, non-native English speakers, applied for that before? From my point of view it would be pretty stupid if they asked to, because having a degree in the UK "kind of" shows that one can speak the language. My opinion though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I think having done a British degree you should be fine but check with the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I think having done a British degree you should be fine but check with the uni.
    Hope so, thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Usually even the strictest courses don't ask for it if you have a recent three-year or more English-medium degree done in an English-speaking country at an English-speaking institution.

Most don't ask for it if you have ever in your life completed a degree in English (not necessarily in an English-speaking country).

Some may even offer a test themselves to assess your proficiency - when you apply for a visa you say they've assessed you anyway, not that you have an IELTS score.

That is, if they still consider Scottish a variant of English. After all, many English people do complain about not being able to understand Peter Capaldi.

But I disagree - many people still don't speak English very well after a degree from a UK university. You also need to remember that the business now does a lot of other stuff - many degrees have been granted as top-up degrees (with a lot of credit transfers overseas), and many are entirely done online.

In fact, even the idea of nativeness is dubious. You are native if you have used the language at home before a certain young age and that means nothing. I know someone who was born in Poland and moved to Australia with no English when she was 2 - she now speaks 0 Polish and English is her only language. I know someone born in London and left after a few years - hardly any English now. I know someone born and raised in Mexico, then spent a few years in Columbia before heading back to Mexico - little Spanish because his family's Japanese. These cases aside, when people think native proficiency, they really think an educated adult, not a 12-year-old child.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.