Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi, I'm going to a new college next year & starting afresh, thing is I'm stuck deciding as I'm 50/50 on both. So I need some help..

College A
    Pros
    Offers the subjects I want to do - preferably a-levels
    Brilliant facilities - educational and for socialMassive building & loads of space
    OFSTED rating outstanding
    Offers a wide range of a-levels and btec's
    It will allow me to make a fresh start where no one will know me
    Don't have to go in every dayMore independentLoads of opportunities
    Can do a levels and do btec at a later dateFriendly people - taster session absolutely brilliant loved it.
    Pastoral care which my current college is useless at
    Didn't seem misleading - my sixth form teachers pretty much lie about everything
    Students who want to go to university get ``special attention``
    College itself has a great rep. and is one of the best fe college in the county

Cons
    Worried I would find my subjects too hard (11 gcses @ b's - d's mediocre from TSR's level... i know...)
    Not many university courses jump out at me at the moment apart from history and also - but what can i do with that???
    Dunno if i really wanna go university - If I did btec i would get work experience too - we don;t get that with a levels.

College B
    Pros
    Offers loads of extra curricular clubs something FE colleges & sixth forms in my area seem to be lacking in...
    Would allow me to choose a course so would land me on the path to one of my preferred career paths
    My friend is there
    btecs = coursework which I mostly do better in
    Way more free time
    The taster session was fun and the course seemed interesting despite what happened.
    Good pastoral care
    Great reputation for all its areas it specializes in
    Great opportunities for work experiences
    More employable
    Hopefully gain good skills for possible career

Cons
    I don't know a lot about the college itself
    Only offers btecs - no a levelsI would be stuck with the btec - i'm an indecisive personI think I would miss learning
    Even if i did do btec it I wouldn't be able to do the TechBacc
    Worried I would be limited
    Felt v. insecure in the environment and generally uncomfortable in that college environment

Thanks in advance for your help
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    Hi, I'm going to a new college next year & starting afresh, thing is I'm stuck deciding as I'm 50/50 on both. So I need some help..

College A
    Pros
    Offers the subjects I want to do - preferably a-levels
    Brilliant facilities - educational and for socialMassive building & loads of space
    OFSTED rating outstanding
    Offers a wide range of a-levels and btec's
    It will allow me to make a fresh start where no one will know me
    Don't have to go in every dayMore independentLoads of opportunities
    Can do a levels and do btec at a later dateFriendly people - taster session absolutely brilliant loved it.
    Pastoral care which my current college is useless at
    Didn't seem misleading - my sixth form teachers pretty much lie about everything
    Students who want to go to university get ``special attention``
    College itself has a great rep. and is one of the best fe college in the county

Cons
    Worried I would find my subjects too hard (11 gcses @ b's - d's mediocre from TSR's level... i know...)
    Not many university courses jump out at me at the moment apart from history and also - but what can i do with that???
    Dunno if i really wanna go university - If I did btec i would get work experience too - we don;t get that with a levels.

College B
    Pros
    Offers loads of extra curricular clubs something FE colleges & sixth forms in my area seem to be lacking in...
    Would allow me to choose a course so would land me on the path to one of my preferred career paths
    My friend is there
    btecs = coursework which I mostly do better in
    Way more free time
    The taster session was fun and the course seemed interesting despite what happened.
    Good pastoral care
    Great reputation for all its areas it specializes in
    Great opportunities for work experiences
    More employable
    Hopefully gain good skills for possible career

Cons
    I don't know a lot about the college itself
    Only offers btecs - no a levelsI would be stuck with the btec - i'm an indecisive personI think I would miss learning
    Even if i did do btec it I wouldn't be able to do the TechBacc
    Worried I would be limited
    Felt v. insecure in the environment and generally uncomfortable in that college environment

Thanks in advance for your help
    I think A has more benefits - if you decide you don't like A Levels and don't want to go to university, that is not the only path available plus extra-curricular can be done without the school of course it should be what you feel would be best for you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    College B

Cons
    That alone is the reason I feel you should choose A. B might be more 'employable', but really your happiness and comfort are what matter. Besides, if you as a person are 'employable' then surely your choice of college wouldn't matter too much?

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you choose to do.

ReputationRep:
    well it depends on what you really want. Do you really need to be with those friends you've known almost all your life? Do you want to have a go at A-levels?

If it helps theres usually a buffer period ends at october half-term. Id go to option A with no friends and try and make a new start, if it hasnt worked or you find the courses too hard or whatever by the end of september /start of october then you can transfer to be with friends at option B and go down that route.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.