Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey

I've got the CGP EDEXCEL IGCSE MATHEMATICS EXAM PRACTICE BOOK which is BRILLIANT as it is full of exam style questions and I wanted to ask is it best to go backwards so learn the hardest content first and eventually get to the easiest considering I've only 3 weeks left until first Maths exam!!

ReputationRep:
    The hard stuff surely assumes you know the easy stuff. Start basic.

(Original post by B_9710)
    The hard stuff surely assumes you know the easy stuff. Start basic.
    OK but 3 weeks to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Xenon_)
    OK but 3 weeks to go
    Why didn't you start earlier?

(Original post by B_9710)
    Why didn't you start earlier?
    The book arrived today!
    And I made a mistake. I need to get an A from a C with 8 hours revision a day

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've got the CGP EDEXCEL IGCSE MATHEMATICS EXAM PRACTICE BOOK which is BRILLIANT as it is full of exam style questions and I wanted to ask is it best to go backwards so learn the hardest content first and eventually get to the easiest considering I've only 3 weeks left until first Maths exam!!
    Start from the beginning but don't do all the questions. Start an exercise and if you find yourself thinking "lol, this is piss", then move on to last few questions of the exercise and do those, then finish off that chapter quickly and move on to the next one and rinse and repeat. If you find the starting questions hard, then on those exercises spend some time reading the material, asking for help on TSR and doing more of the questions. Basically, do less questions on the stuff you're comfortable with and more on the stuff you're not comfortable with, work on your weaknesses.

Like, just yesterdat you couldn't even do a simple differentiation, today only 18 hours later, you can bang them like nothing else.

(Original post by Zacken)
    Start from the beginning but don't do all the questions. Start an exercise and if you find yourself thinking "lol, this is piss", then move on to last few questions of the exercise and do those, then finish off that chapter quickly and move on to the next one and rinse and repeat. If you find the starting questions hard, then on those exercises spend some time reading the material, asking for help on TSR and doing more of the questions. Basically, do less questions on the stuff you're comfortable with and more on the stuff you're not comfortable with, work on your weaknesses.

Like, just yesterdat you couldn't even do a simple differentiation, today only 18 hours later, you can bang them like nothing else.
    Thanks man. I can't rep atm it won't let me but thanks a lot I mean it.

I've started doing a lot of work, wish I started earlier but can't change that now better work extra hard now

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man. I can't rep atm it won't let me but thanks a lot I mean it.

I've started doing a lot of work, wish I started earlier but can't change that now better work extra hard now
    Don't worry, I started working about 2/3 weeks before my exams and managed to do pretty well. Just put in the work.

Don't worry, I started working about 2/3 weeks before my exams and managed to do pretty well. Just put in the work.
    Oh nice work.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing maths at A level?

(Original post by Rajive)
    Are you doing maths at A level?
    YES i intend to next year and I have a plan from day one to understand everything so I don't mess up later on in the year... Atm I'm doing IGCSE

ReputationRep:
    YES i hope so but I have a plan from day one for that so I don't mess up later on
    Me to, i always get apprehensive about the difficulty.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What did you get ?

(Original post by Rajive)
    Me to, i always get apprehensive about the difficulty.
    It's a good idea, I learnt a lesson from GCSEs that you should start early and you can get top grades hoping the same can be said for A-levels so from the first day I'll make sure I understand the topics properly !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    What did you get ?
    For maths or in general?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For maths or in general?
    In general if you don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    In general if you don't mind.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8A*'s and 1A
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8A*'s and 1A
    Well done !! That's great !! What did you get the A for?

ReputationRep:
    Well done !! That's great !! What did you get the A for?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Economics, unfortunately. But I managed to bag an A* in Additional Maths, something no one at my school has done before. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8A*'s and 1A
    :adore:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.