Samii123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Name:  WP_20160430_20_30_17_Pro.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  288.0 KB
I'm usually content with bounds and I find them very easy for a higher tier topic, but I have never encountered a bounds question like this before. The wording has put me off and I'm really not sure how to present my answer.
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samii123)
I'm usually content with bounds and I find them very easy for a higher tier topic, but I have never encountered a bounds question like this before. The wording has put me off and I'm really not sure how to present my answer.
Let's say the lower bound of a value x is 3.2431 and the upper bound is 3.2453. We want to write x to the best degree of accuracy possible.

So we could say x = 3 (to the nearest whole number) since anything between the LB and UB will round to 3.

But we can do better than that.

We can say x = 3.2 (1 d.p) since both the LB and UB round to this.

Can we do better than that?

The LB rounds to 3.24 and the UB rounds to 3.25 to 2 d.p. so we can't write x to 2.d.p.

So to the best degree of accuracy, we can say x = 3.2 (1 d.p.).
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samii123)
If it is correct to 2 decimal places, that means the third decimal place can vary.

6.43 can be 4.425 to 4.435 since any number in the interval (that is between) 4.425 and 4.435 will end up rounding to 6.43. Example: 4.427 rounds to 4.43.

So 6.43 is correct to 2 d.p means a lower bound of 4.425 and an upper bound of 4.435.

Do the same for the other question.

Now, to find the maximum (upper bound) of v, you want the square root of (max a)/(min b) and the minimum (lower bound) is square root (min a)/(max b).

Makes sense?

Edit: damn... notnek got there first!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise