The Student Room Group

Who did History A level without doing it at GCSE?

What Grade did you get? How did you find the course? Did it improve your essay writing skill?
#i technically did do it at GCSE but i essentially grabbed the textbooks and learnt the core. Most places wont let you do the A-level unless you've done the GCSE. I didnt have any formal lessons and I wasnt shown how to write an essay, you can pick it up pretty easy from what you learn in English. And often your AS teacher will show you how its done considering the GCSE structure is really not fit for use!! Im sure you'll be fine. It's the A2 which gets a bit harder!
Reply 2
Original post by patheticboy
#i technically did do it at GCSE but i essentially grabbed the textbooks and learnt the core. Most places wont let you do the A-level unless you've done the GCSE. I didnt have any formal lessons and I wasnt shown how to write an essay, you can pick it up pretty easy from what you learn in English. And often your AS teacher will show you how its done considering the GCSE structure is really not fit for use!! Im sure you'll be fine. It's the A2 which gets a bit harder!

Some places specify that you get a B or above in English so yeah. It looks interesting anyway
Original post by Rajive
Some places specify that you get a B or above in English so yeah. It looks interesting anyway

History was great. It really developed my analytical skills and helped me question everything. The coursework -Edexcel was insanely hard because our teacher has a doctorate in history from Cambridge and he literally marked it at 2nd yr uni standard, but it made us better historians! - but i think the coursework has been scrapped now!
Its interesting, quite fun. It takes up an awful lot of time though!
Reply 4
Original post by patheticboy
History was great. It really developed my analytical skills and helped me question everything. The coursework -Edexcel was insanely hard because our teacher has a doctorate in history from Cambridge and he literally marked it at 2nd yr uni standard, but it made us better historians! - but i think the coursework has been scrapped now!
Its interesting, quite fun. It takes up an awful lot of time though!

Were all your other subjects essay based?
Original post by Rajive
Were all your other subjects essay based?

No, Im a well-rounded person so my alevels couldnt be in a singular field. I did Maths, Physics, English, History and AS Art/Photography
Reply 6
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest