Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My dream is to study medicine but after applying this year I have been rejected from all my medicine choices, but am on the waiting list for one uni. If I get good results this year I plan to take a gap year and reapply. However, I have an unconditional offer for Biomedical sciences, which I'm unsure about what to do with. I have to reply to this offer but my only choices are to either firm the offer or decline it. I don't want to firm it as it's not what I want to do, and I still have the chance to get in on the waiting list for medicine, but I want to keep my options open in case I get awful results so I could maybe take the biomedical offer in the end......... Help!

ReputationRep:
    If it's not what you want to do then decline it. In the unfortunate scenario where you get horrible grades and won't be able to reapply for medicine, take the gap year to consider your options and apply the next year. Do NOT feel obliged to go to uni just because you have an offer. It's not worth it

ReputationRep:
    Since you plan on taking a gap year and reapplying, you should decline the offer completely. In case you get off that waitlist, good for you. If not, gap year it is! If you end up going into Biomed, more than likely that you'll not do well since its not what you want to do.

In terms of grades, if you want to do Medicine then you should be fairly confident in yourself about your ability to achieve highly. So on the off chance you do poorly, you'll have the gap year to consider your options.

Or you could place the biomed offer as your insurance and withdraw if you do well. However, I'm not from here but I still don't think that's the best thing to do ethically.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As stated above, definitely decline biomedicine. You will not be happy doing it for 3 years. If I were you, I'd just focus on doing my best for now and trying not to think too far ahead. If you do badly, it's not the end of the world, and I know so many people that took a gap year and reapplied and don't regret a thing. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You could do the 3 years apply your self and do the grad entry? Some uni's do a feeder program, where you go from year one of bio med straight into medschool. As long as your in the top 10% of your year. It's worth talking to that uni and finding out work out all your options and pick the best one for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bib24)
    You could do the 3 years apply your self and do the grad entry? Some uni's do a feeder program, where you go from year one of bio med straight into medschool. As long as your in the top 10% of your year. It's worth talking to that uni and finding out work out all your options and pick the best one for you.
    The biomed feeder thing is extremely rare, if not mythical. And graduate entry is much more competitive than conventional entry. Neither of these should be anyone's plan A for a route into medicine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.