Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been to a few assessment centre and I don't like them. I just feel like I have to pretend all the time that I am so great and so smart just to impress people... smile all the time... basically wearing a mask.

While I do have lots of skills and work experience and I am suitable for the job I apply to, I still feel like my only aim for that day is to show them what they want, not who I really am...

For example in those group exercises, I have to behave like this, do that, say certain things, praise people, involve people just because they want to see me in those 30 minutes doing all those things. Don't get me wrong,I do work well with people and make sure everyone gets involved in real world... but it still feels wrong.

In my last assessment centre I got a feedback that during the discussion group I 'had opinions that were different than the group'. So what? Since when is expressing yourself and suggesting different ideas bad?

It's so frustrating that they never ask about you, what you like to do, what you value, or try to get toknow you a bit as a person/human beeing, not only ask if you can do the job.

How do you guys feel about it? Any tips and suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y0_3mma)
    So I've been to a few assessment centre and I don't like them. I just feel like I have to pretend all the time that I am so great and so smart just to impress people... smile all the time... basically wearing a mask.

While I do have lots of skills and work experience and I am suitable for the job I apply to, I still feel like my only aim for that day is to show them what they want, not who I really am...

For example in those group exercises, I have to behave like this, do that, say certain things, praise people, involve people just because they want to see me in those 30 minutes doing all those things. Don't get me wrong,I do work well with people and make sure everyone gets involved in real world... but it still feels wrong.

In my last assessment centre I got a feedback that during the discussion group I 'had opinions that were different than the group'. So what? Since when is expressing yourself and suggesting different ideas bad?

It's so frustrating that they never ask about you, what you like to do, what you value, or try to get toknow you a bit as a person/human beeing, not only ask if you can do the job.

I've never been to an assessment center but I can see what you mean that there is an element of performance about it. There should be one-to-one interviews as the next stage where you can tell them more about yourself
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I used to have this issue and wrestled with it for some time, as I take great stock in being myself. I used to hate the falseness of it all. The whole process is false.

If you are yourself, then that might not be what they want.
    If you are false and someone you are not , then you will fail as they will see through it.

Ask yourself do you want the job or not.
    They set the rules, so decide whether you want to jump the fences or not. The aim is to make them offer you the job.

Be the best version of yourself that displays the skills they want. It is possible to reconcile that and still be true to yourself. Its not limiting but gives you focus.

ReputationRep:

Different companies have different cultures- some may have a very consensus based focus, where actively disagreeing with people won't go down well, and they'd rather have people who will avoid confrontation. They're not making a comment on you as a person, they're commenting on your fit for their company.

I know it's hard when you're desperate for a job, but try and see this as a good thing. Interviewing should be a too way process. If you feel like you're having to be fake for an assessment centre, think how much worse it would be if you had to pretend to act that way all the time you were at work.

I would suggest that you go into the assessments with the intention of being yourself. If the company looks at that and feels it's not a good fit, you'd probably be miserable working there anyway!

ReputationRep:

You have to say what they want to hear. It's easy to figure out what they want to hear. Just be an extroverted robot who likes to be told what to do. Nobody wants you hear about the 'real you' unless the real you is the mindless corporate drone they are looking for, which it doesn't sound like you are and most people aren't so most people ******** their way through these things, you have to fake it till you make it if you want one of those jobs...

ReputationRep:
    My experience is when a large company like to pretend they have a collective culture and values, it's always corporate Bull ****.

Most assessment centres tend to be exercises of extroversion, regardless of the relevance of that skill set to the role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    My experience is when a large company like to pretend they have a collective culture and values, it's always corporate Bull ****.

Most assessment centres tend to be exercises of extroversion, regardless of the relevance of that skill set to the role.
    I know, right? 'Testing how well you work under pressure'. As if morning to night they work under pressure thinking 'Omg I only have 10 minutes to read 100 emails' etc. -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)

Exactly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.