Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted on the MA Art Therapy at Hertfordshire! I'm very excited, art, psychology and helping others are all passions of mine. I was worried I would not get onto the course because I don't have a degree in Art and Design on Fine Art but I did have a portfolio and enough relevant experience for the course.

Has anyone studied, or going to study this course (at any university)? What's your experience? How is the placement?

I am concerned about the employ-ability after I finish my Masters. Art therapy is less than a century old as a career and with the government, conservative and cutting back all health care routes, cutting back on the arts in education, Art therapy will suffer and be undervalued. I know most art therapists have their eggs in multiple baskets, they are artists, researchers, writers, lecturers, teachers as well as therapists in a variety of institutions.

Can anyone shed light on job prospects after becoming a qualified art therapist? How long would it take to my first paid job do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry I can't be of much help to your question. I'm looking to do this course within the next couple years, just building up my experience and portfolio. You've probably already started the course, I just wanted to ask how much experience you had before joining the course and wether you have a degree in a relevant subject, as I have neither but am working on this to gain entry onto the course as a mature student. Any advice would be great.
    Good luck with the course

ReputationRep:
    I don't study Art Psychotherapy, but I do study Dance Movement Psychotherapy, and I just like you I am also wondering about employ-ability. However, I do believe that there are jobs out there, for example, the Priory Hospital and within the NHS, but they seem to be competitive and is also POSSIBLE. Once you get onto your course you will most likely be on placement, so take advantage and work well as your placement could potentially offer you a job or create a service providing Art Psychotherapy.

In addition, I would say volunteer as much as you can! It may be difficult but search around.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.