The Student Room Group

Where should I study Law?

When I've completed my A-levels I would really like to get straight into law (I want to become a lawyer), BUT I want to practice in the US; more specifically, New York. Now, I know the US does not allow you to take law as an undergraduate degree, whereas the UK does, but you do need an undergraduate degree to get into Law School. So, I was wondering; is it logical for me to take a law undergrad degree at Oxford for three years and then going to Harvard Law School (not sure which course- JD or LLM? which would I even qualify for?) for another three years before taking the bar in NY? And would me taking the undergrad course here, in the UK just destroy my chances of getting into Harvard Law because of it being a completely different country's law and they would most likely have to "un-teach" me everything I was taught due to it being English law, or am I mistaken? Thank you xxxx
What are your grades?
Reply 2
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What are your grades?

A's and A*s :smile:
Original post by bluecrazer
A's and A*s :smile:

How many of each?

You would have to check with Harvard if they mind you studying Law in the UK first. Though really, what's the point if you don't intend to practice in the UK? You'd have to relearn everything in the US. Plus you wouldn't even be qualified to practice in the UK because you'd still have to take your LPC/BPTC and your training contract.

If they say they don't mind you studying Law in the UK first, then do that, because you'll need a backup if you don't get into Harvard, or if you change your mind.

Does it have to be Harvard or nothing? Would you still prefer to study in the US if you couldn't go to Harvard?
Nevermind, I see you haven't finished your A levels yet. Disregard my questions about your grades. I was asking about the A level grades I thought you had.
Why don't you go to the US for your undergrad instead of the UK?
There are undergraduate degree programmes in the UK (I think at KCL) where you study a joint English and American law degree.

You would finish with an LLB and JD allowing you take prepare for the bar exam of whichever state you fancy.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
Reply 7
i've got a place to study Law at Cambridge next year and they have quite good links with American universities, but you could always practice law in the US with an Oxbridge law degree regardless
Reply 8
You can practice in the US with MOST UK law degrees, except the GDL I believe, they require a certain amount of time (years) to apply to sit the bar exam, and the GDL does not meet that criteria... at the very least you will have to read an LLM degree at a US university, in order to qualify.

That is hurdle number one... additionally you can only take the bar exam in two states, NY State and California. Most other states require a law degree from a US institution. Both of these states have reciprocal agreements with most if not all other states, for admittance to practice law once you have passed their exam, but be aware, NY State and California are the hardest bar exams to pass.

Before you embark on such an endeavour, it would be wise to research attrition rates and actual passing rates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending