The Student Room Group

First year A&F student just completely lost

Hey, I'm currently a first-year undergraduate at Warwick University studying A&F, but I've done nothing in preparation for anything in terms of outside studies. I hear people talking about placements, internships and summer jobs and I haven't got a clue where to begin as I've just been focusing on the course modules. I also have no idea where I'd like to be in the future which sucks even more since i don't even know what area of this sector I'm interested in. I know I'm pretty damn late to this and I've only started to panic now. I have really no work experience at all and my CV is in pretty poor shape, so I'm really at a complete disadvantage.

Where should I begin?
Reply 1
Hi, not to be sounding overtly laissez-faire about your genuine question, but as a first year A&F student, I wouldn't be too worried about getting tons of top-notch experience this early on. Any work experience over the summer would be useful for a CV, be that in A&F or just general employment. A lot of internships and placements ask solely for penultimate year students so there's plenty of future opportunities out there. My advice, which I assure you is purely anecdotal, is that try to enjoy your long summers while you can and get involved with something you're interested in or maybe a potential career path, even if it is just a faint idea- this way you can find out before looking in the job market proper after graduation.

I probably will get shot down for this relaxed style of guidance, but after working in a supermarket during uni and absolutely no A&F work experience, I still received a number of brilliant of finance grad scheme offers from public and private employers after getting a good A&F degree from a similar Russell Group uni.
Thanks, I really appreciate your advice - definitely feel more relaxed now. I think my main priority for now is to focus on exams than do anything else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending