Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on a school trip to China in July for 2 weeks. Going to Beijing and Changzhou. It is mostly 'educational' with lots of cultural lessons, etc.

To anyone who has been before, or just has good knowledge of China, what essentials should I bring (apart from the standard toiletries, etc)? What foods should I definitely look to try out? What should I try and buy for hopefully cheaper than here in the UK, that will be worth buying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishan_2000)
    I'm going on a school trip to China in July for 2 weeks. Going to Beijing and Changzhou. It is mostly 'educational' with lots of cultural lessons, etc.

To anyone who has been before, or just has good knowledge of China, what essentials should I bring (apart from the standard toiletries, etc)? What foods should I definitely look to try out? What should I try and buy for hopefully cheaper than here in the UK, that will be worth buying?
    Going to beijing in July? Its going to be hot. so make sure you prepare for the heat.

Always carry tissue with you if you ever want to use a public toilet, as they are holes in the ground (usually) and will probably not have tissue.

Food will be a bit cheaper, but not that much as your going to beijing.. outside of beijing things are certainly much much cheaper.

If you get to try street food.. then there is a lot that you can explore.. Think whole fried squids on sticks, amazing bowls of spicey toufu, friend spicey crabs etc.

Are you going to shanghai? or any other places around Changzhou? I have never been to Changzhou, but shanghai is wonderful - especially the Yu gardens.. and some of the other cities in that area are amazing, Nanjing is very nice, and Suzhou is probably my favourite city to visit in china, for its relaxing temple gardens.

--

Serriously though, just go in with an open mind and try as much of the food as possible. It will not be like the chinese food you get in england, and although it might be tempting to stick with things you think you will like/sound english - push yourself and you will have some amazing food experiances.

Do you speak any chinese? - its not at all essential, especially if you are going on a school trip. But if you want to impress people, and make your life a lot easier then learning the numbers is a great way to start, as it just makes shopping so much easier.

Anyway, I am sure you will have a great time! Ive lived in china for nearly a year now, and its a wonderful place. So enjoy your trip!

ReputationRep:

Oh I forgot to say, in terms of 'cheaper then the UK'

To be honest, dont buy anything to brng back to the Uk, except 'chinese things'.

Anything that looks chinese, a souvenir, a traditional product, a new chinese item etc - will be a good price and probably fair quality.

But anything that is western, will probably cost more money.. Unless.. its fake. (which is highly likely) Western electronics, clothes, make-up etc. All cost more money here then they do back in the UK, so if you see them for cheaper prices, then almost certainly they are not real.

Fake products are still a large problem overhere in china, so really just stick to buying souvenirs, and awesome chinese things to take home!

--

Final thing: Haggle! Barter! in any smaller shop, you can always haggle, and they will expect you too. If you want something and it does not have a price-tag, then they will almost certainly raise the price because you are a tourist.. but haggle down and they will drop the price dramatically.

I was in a tourist area of shanghai and wanted to buy a hanging decoration for a friend back in england.. was quoted 220 yuan. my wife (genius haggler) stepped in, and we walked away with it for 50 yuan. Just go for it, and normally you will get things so much cheaper then advertised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Going to beijing in July? Its going to be hot. so make sure you prepare for the heat.

Always carry tissue with you if you ever want to use a public toilet, as they are holes in the ground (usually) and will probably not have tissue.

Food will be a bit cheaper, but not that much as your going to beijing.. outside of beijing things are certainly much much cheaper.

If you get to try street food.. then there is a lot that you can explore.. Think whole fried squids on sticks, amazing bowls of spicey toufu, friend spicey crabs etc.

Are you going to shanghai? or any other places around Changzhou? I have never been to Changzhou, but shanghai is wonderful - especially the Yu gardens.. and some of the other cities in that area are amazing, Nanjing is very nice, and Suzhou is probably my favourite city to visit in china, for its relaxing temple gardens.

--

Serriously though, just go in with an open mind and try as much of the food as possible. It will not be like the chinese food you get in england, and although it might be tempting to stick with things you think you will like/sound english - push yourself and you will have some amazing food experiances.

Do you speak any chinese? - its not at all essential, especially if you are going on a school trip. But if you want to impress people, and make your life a lot easier then learning the numbers is a great way to start, as it just makes shopping so much easier.

Anyway, I am sure you will have a great time! Ive lived in china for nearly a year now, and its a wonderful place. So enjoy your trip!
    Not going to Shanghai due to limited time, just Changzhou. Not sure if we go anywhere around Changzhou. We may also go to Suzhou, as I think it's fairly nearby.

Yeah, I do speak some Chinese, and am doing it for GCSE at the moment, not too much though.

Sounds great! What made you live in China for a year? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I forgot to say, in terms of 'cheaper then the UK'

To be honest, dont buy anything to brng back to the Uk, except 'chinese things'.

Anything that looks chinese, a souvenir, a traditional product, a new chinese item etc - will be a good price and probably fair quality.

But anything that is western, will probably cost more money.. Unless.. its fake. (which is highly likely) Western electronics, clothes, make-up etc. All cost more money here then they do back in the UK, so if you see them for cheaper prices, then almost certainly they are not real.

Fake products are still a large problem overhere in china, so really just stick to buying souvenirs, and awesome chinese things to take home!

--

Final thing: Haggle! Barter! in any smaller shop, you can always haggle, and they will expect you too. If you want something and it does not have a price-tag, then they will almost certainly raise the price because you are a tourist.. but haggle down and they will drop the price dramatically.

I was in a tourist area of shanghai and wanted to buy a hanging decoration for a friend back in england.. was quoted 220 yuan. my wife (genius haggler) stepped in, and we walked away with it for 50 yuan. Just go for it, and normally you will get things so much cheaper then advertised.
    Oh ok, thanks. Knew there would be some fake things, but not too many.

Haggling sounds fun to do in Chinese! Sounds great!

Any 'chinese things' you recommend especially for buying for England?

ReputationRep:
    Not going to Shanghai due to limited time, just Changzhou. Not sure if we go anywhere around Changzhou. We may also go to Suzhou, as I think it's fairly nearby.

Yeah, I do speak some Chinese, and am doing it for GCSE at the moment, not too much though.

Sounds great! What made you live in China for a year? Thanks!
    My wife is Chinese. We met when she was an international student in England, and decided to live here for a few years before coming back to england to start a family

Going to suzhou is great! honestly, its my favouite place, amazing traditional gardens, and one of the most beautiful shopping streets ever, that runs alongside a small river. It also has a really amazing cat-cafe!

Oh ok, thanks. Knew there would be some fake things, but not too many.

Haggling sounds fun to do in Chinese! Sounds great!

Any 'chinese things' you recommend especially for buying for England?
    I could, but its best you just see for yourself! when I first went I expected just the normal Chinese fans, etc. but there is so much more! I dont want to ruin it for you - but if your the sort of person who likes a sort of Chinese design style, then there is so many things to buy/see

ReputationRep:
    My wife is Chinese. We met when she was an international student in England, and decided to live here for a few years before coming back to england to start a family

Going to suzhou is great! honestly, its my favouite place, amazing traditional gardens, and one of the most beautiful shopping streets ever, that runs alongside a small river. It also has a really amazing cat-cafe!

I could, but its best you just see for yourself! when I first went I expected just the normal Chinese fans, etc. but there is so much more! I dont want to ruin it for you - but if your the sort of person who likes a sort of Chinese design style, then there is so many things to buy/see
    Ok, nice to know. I have heard great reviews about Suzhou from another friend that has been before. I hope we go there!

No problem, I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed by the amount of things I could buy, traditional and cultural Chinese artefacts, etc. Should be great!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.