The Student Room Group

Recommended books for comp sci student starting sept.

I'll be doing comp sci at uni in sept (ICL if i get the grades)...so, what books do people reccommend as summer reading to prepare myself....I suspect I will get some sort of reading list from whichever uni i end up at(be it ICL or somewhere else), but suggestions by any current comp sci students (from any uni) are welcome, as i'd love to start NOW!( yep I'm v. enthusiastic....really excited infact!!!!!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BossLady
I'll be doing comp sci at uni in sept (ICL if i get the grades)...so, what books do people reccommend as summer reading to prepare myself....I suspect I will get some sort of reading list from whichever uni i end up at(be it ICL or somewhere else), but suggestions by any current comp sci students (from any uni) are welcome, as i'd love to start NOW!( yep I'm v. enthusiastic....really excited infact!!!!!)

Why not contact your university (ICL) and ask them? They may have a reading list which requires the purchase of certian books, its probably better to get them rather than buying a load of books now to find out they are not much use. Also do you know what programming languages you will be using?

I made sure I knew HTML inside out before I started, I also learn't VB which was a bit of a waste of time buy handy for ASP.
Reply 2
find out what language they will be teaching and start learning it.
Reply 3
amazingtrade
Why not contact your university (ICL) and ask them? They may have a reading list which requires the purchase of certian books, its probably better to get them rather than buying a load of books now to find out they are not much use. Also do you know what programming languages you will be using?

I made sure I knew HTML inside out before I started, I also learn't VB which was a bit of a waste of time buy handy for ASP.

I can contact them, but I was planning to do that after I actually knew where I was going. Don't want to tempt fate...
Anyway that's niether here nor there, current comp sci students must have "funtime" comp sci reading that they'd recommend, whatever uni they're at. Rather than learning another(!) language, I was thinking more some stuff around the subject or whatever.
As for langs...I've known HTML for donkies (its as easy as pie lol), not even a language imo. Know the web devel stuff v well (yes and used commercially)...PHP, SQL (w/ mySQL lol, howd ya guess:tongue:), javascript, vbscript, blablabla. Got some books on C++ and Java at home, so I can muck about with them this summer. I think I'm "okay" on the lang front in terms of resources.
Reply 4
BossLady
I can contact them, but I was planning to do that after I actually knew where I was going. Don't want to tempt fate...
Anyway that's niether here nor there, current comp sci students must have "funtime" comp sci reading that they'd recommend, whatever uni they're at. Rather than learning another(!) language, I was thinking more some stuff around the subject or whatever.
As for langs...I've known HTML for donkies (its as easy as pie lol), not even a language imo. Know the web devel stuff v well (yes and used commercially)...PHP, SQL (w/ mySQL lol, howd ya guess:tongue:), javascript, vbscript, blablabla. Got some books on C++ and Java at home, so I can muck about with them this summer. I think I'm "okay" on the lang front in terms of resources.

In the old days I would sugges to buy books on computer architecture however these days its more software based. Aslongs as you know how the microprocessor works then its probably not worth studying beyoung A level computing level until you to get to uni. I think what you're looking for is some kind of general computer science or software engineering book.
Reply 5
amazingtrade
In the old days I would sugges to buy books on computer architecture however these days its more software based. Aslongs as you know how the microprocessor works then its probably not worth studying beyoung A level computing level until you to get to uni. I think what you're looking for is some kind of general computer science or software engineering book.

Well...I didn't do A level computing...school doesn't offer it, maybe they think it's too vocational whereas my school likes to concentrate on academic subjects, not sure tho. The computer facilities are hot at school though lol! I did maths, physics and economics. Everything I know about comps is self-taught really, tis great fun teaching oneself!
Anyways I'll have a look at books related to your suggestions. If anyone has some fun titles...do suggest em lol. Btw thinking about it...im not looking for something that serious or heavy though.
Reply 6
Algorithmics: The Spirit of Computing by David Harel :wink:
Reply 7
BossLady

None. Since everything is taught from the absolute basics, preparation will only give a short advantage. Enjoy your summer instead.
Reply 8
Darkness
None. Since everything is taught from the absolute basics, preparation will only give a short advantage. Enjoy your summer instead.

Everything is taught from the absolute basics eh? is this the same for all unis?
Reply 9
[QUOTE='[-David-]']Everything is taught from the absolute basics eh? is this the same for all unis?
Well they don't jump you straight into multithreading in your first lecture. However what you learn at university is basic compared to what you will do in your job (I am talking from a computing angle) there is nothing stopping you from building on what you have learn't, in fact this expected of you. There is nothign wrong with teaching yourself things as longs as you don't get into bad habbits.
Reply 10
Darkness

hmm you go to ICL's comp dep don't ya?
If everythign is taught from the basics...DO they give you a reading list then in aug/sept?
Reply 11
BossLady
hmm you go to ICL's comp dep don't ya?
If everythign is taught from the basics...DO they give you a reading list then in aug/sept?

There is no official reading list. In one of their letters they suggest visiting their website for recommended reading for anyone that is interested, however their website provides very little information indeed.
Reply 13
Max Plank
There's no real need to do any summer reading. The best thing is to start on the maths content:

But if you must read a boring but useful book then "Reasoned Programming - Broda, Vickers..."

John

Thats stuff is really scaring me...
Reply 14
[QUOTE='[-David-]']Thats stuff is really scaring me...

Did you do maths at A2?!? :confused:
Reply 15
Leekey
Did you do maths at A2?!? :confused:

nope.
Reply 16
[QUOTE='[-David-]']nope.

Ahh thats it then, everything there is pretty much an extension of what you do at A-Level so by the time you have sorted out the A2 knowledge on your course you should be fine. :smile:
Reply 17
Leekey
Ahh thats it then, everything there is pretty much an extension of what you do at A-Level so by the time you have sorted out the A2 knowledge on your course you should be fine. :smile:

I hope so, I didn't even do maths AS. though i got a C for maths GCSE
Reply 18
[QUOTE='[-David-]']I hope so, I didn't even do maths AS. though i got a C for maths GCSE

I'm sure you'll be fine, courses that don't require a A2 maths are generally less likely to ask you to do as much in the way of maths anyway. Unfortunately this means I'm screwed but your sitting pretty. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Leekey
I'm sure you'll be fine, courses that don't require a A2 maths are generally less likely to ask you to do as much in the way of maths anyway. Unfortunately this means I'm screwed but your sitting pretty. :rolleyes:

Ahh good good, but with your A2 maths you should find it all a doddle.

Cheers for the reassurance though, much appreicated :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending