Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First two GCSEs on the same day -French and biology- which to revise first? Watch

ReputationRep:
    French is pretty important as i want to do for A level, not doing bio for A level but it's still very important as it's the two hour paper so more marks. I don't know which one to focus more of my revision on the day before!!!!

edit: made a typo - revision not reason

ReputationRep:
    Screw French.

Do Biology!!

ReputationRep:
    Both? Do bio closer to the exam as you can keep it in your short-term memory, whereas French is more likely to be retained since you'll be needing it for A-level.

ReputationRep:
    I shouldn't be saying that cos ur taking French for A-Level so u should actually focus on that!

But languages aren't even hard..multiple choice tests are easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    I shouldn't be saying that cos ur taking French for A-Level so u should actually focus on that!

But languages aren't even hard..multiple choice tests are easy.
    I agree, there's also more core knowledge needed for biology whereas french is just ticking boxes and 2 essays; more applied knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Considering you want to do French for A-Level, you must be pretty good at it already. Additionally, the papers aren't too difficult. If I were you, I would revise mostly for Biology the day before, however, catch up on a little French as well so your mind is fresh.

ReputationRep:
    I've got the same exams, for French I'm doing very little revision- as long as you've listened, you'll know the vocab. But it's not mutually exclusive, you do have to revise both. Biology just needs a lot longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildjones)
    I've got the same exams, for French I'm doing very little revision- as long as you've listened, you'll know the vocab. But it's not mutually exclusive, you do have to revise both. Biology just needs a lot longer.
    oh cool! how are you revising for bio?

ReputationRep:
    Do past paper after past paper till there is none left to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosaichearts)
    oh cool! how are you revising for bio?
    Just making brief notes on each topic then doing a few past papers to get a feel for the mark scheme. By 'doing' the papers I mean having two tabs open, one the paper and one the mark scheme and just going through and seeing what you know. Works for me

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the same two exams as you, and I am also doing A Level French, but despite this I am not doing any French revision whatsoever outside of class. French Listening is quite difficult to revise for, so you only can effectively do past papers. For Biology, however, I am revising quite a bit as there is so much more knowledge needed and the tests aren't easy.

ReputationRep:
    French - you're doing it for A Level, so getting a good grade in it is way more important.

ReputationRep:
    I knew I was doing French at AS Level but I didn't do any revision for my French GCSE, bar what we did in class before study leave. You will already know all of the basic vocab you'll need to get by the exam, so I personally would focus on biology more as more factual recall and understanding is needed. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say to revise biology more. With french, surely you've learnt vocab throughout the 2 years? and cramming revision in the last 2 weeks won't benefit you as much as cramming biology facts would. good luck, i'm sitting these exams too
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you've done plenty of past papers already in class for French, do Biology. We just finished the course this week and have two weeks to do past papers. Biology!

(I'm taking them both for A level so a bit screwed LOL)

ReputationRep:
    I think you should focus more on Biology, people tend to think that Biology is the easiest of the Triple Sciences, but really the questions can sometimes throw you off despite knowing the content. I have those exact exams too, AQA French and Biology and have started revising vocab ect but have not really started going over Biology yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.