First two GCSEs on the same day -French and biology- which to revise first?

Watch
mosaichearts
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
French is pretty important as i want to do for A level, not doing bio for A level but it's still very important as it's the two hour paper so more marks. I don't know which one to focus more of my revision on the day before!!!!

edit: made a typo - revision not reason
sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Screw French.

Do Biology!!
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both? Do bio closer to the exam as you can keep it in your short-term memory, whereas French is more likely to be retained since you'll be needing it for A-level.
sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I shouldn't be saying that cos ur taking French for A-Level so u should actually focus on that!

But languages aren't even hard..multiple choice tests are easy.
mosaichearts
Rep:
?
(Original post by sulaimanali)
I shouldn't be saying that cos ur taking French for A-Level so u should actually focus on that!

But languages aren't even hard..multiple choice tests are easy.
I agree, there's also more core knowledge needed for biology whereas french is just ticking boxes and 2 essays; more applied knowledge
Harrykel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Considering you want to do French for A-Level, you must be pretty good at it already. Additionally, the papers aren't too difficult. If I were you, I would revise mostly for Biology the day before, however, catch up on a little French as well so your mind is fresh.
wildjones
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got the same exams, for French I'm doing very little revision- as long as you've listened, you'll know the vocab. But it's not mutually exclusive, you do have to revise both. Biology just needs a lot longer.
mosaichearts
Rep:
?
(Original post by wildjones)
I've got the same exams, for French I'm doing very little revision- as long as you've listened, you'll know the vocab. But it's not mutually exclusive, you do have to revise both. Biology just needs a lot longer.
oh cool! how are you revising for bio?
Harrykel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do past paper after past paper till there is none left to do.
wildjones
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mosaichearts)
oh cool! how are you revising for bio?
Just making brief notes on each topic then doing a few past papers to get a feel for the mark scheme. By 'doing' the papers I mean having two tabs open, one the paper and one the mark scheme and just going through and seeing what you know. Works for me
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing the same two exams as you, and I am also doing A Level French, but despite this I am not doing any French revision whatsoever outside of class. French Listening is quite difficult to revise for, so you only can effectively do past papers. For Biology, however, I am revising quite a bit as there is so much more knowledge needed and the tests aren't easy.
lostintrnslation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
French - you're doing it for A Level, so getting a good grade in it is way more important.
CharlotteHolly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I knew I was doing French at AS Level but I didn't do any revision for my French GCSE, bar what we did in class before study leave. You will already know all of the basic vocab you'll need to get by the exam, so I personally would focus on biology more as more factual recall and understanding is needed. Good luck!
jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say to revise biology more. With french, surely you've learnt vocab throughout the 2 years? and cramming revision in the last 2 weeks won't benefit you as much as cramming biology facts would. good luck, i'm sitting these exams too
username943595
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you've done plenty of past papers already in class for French, do Biology. We just finished the course this week and have two weeks to do past papers. Biology!

(I'm taking them both for A level so a bit screwed LOL)
ukila
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you should focus more on Biology, people tend to think that Biology is the easiest of the Triple Sciences, but really the questions can sometimes throw you off despite knowing the content. I have those exact exams too, AQA French and Biology and have started revising vocab ect but have not really started going over Biology yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads